 LEGO Company / LEGO Direct / 4575
Re: Poor Service to Toy Shops = No Lego
Newsgroups:
lugnet.lego.direct
Date:
Tue, 4 Jun 2002 02:12:23 GMT

In lugnet.lego.direct, Suzanne D. Rich writes:
On Saturday, June 1, 2002, at 10:51 AM, r2 wrote:

I went by our local (favorite) toy store yesterday. They have always
carried
a great selection of Lego and generally carried some shop at home only
sets.
There was NO LEGO. They had dropped all Lego from their store!

I asked them why, didn't the Lego sell? No, the Lego sold very well but
their ordering service was TERRIBLE. They constantly had orders
canceled, so
they would have to continually reorder (the same orders that had been
canceled). Orders were erratically filled and it was too difficult to
deal
with Lego the company.

I'm glad to hear someone bring this up (even if it's sad to hear).

The toy seller above is hardly alone. I've heard this kinda stuff over
and over. TLC knows all about their poor service.

I've always been of the belief that just because something *is* a certain
way, doesn't mean that it has to stay that way.

I find it tough to accept that the LEGO company would allow themselves to be
seen in this light.  I heard a similar story from a retailer in my city as
well.  If I recall, they weren't carrying any LEGO because the company
insisted that they carry an very large inventory and they simply couldn't.
So, rather than have any sales at all, the company apparently prefers no
sales to some small retailers.  How odd that the company has seen revenues
plunge into the red a couple of times in the last few years.

Three(?) years ago, Enfield built their huge new distribution center
which, as I understand, is tailored for two resellers: Wal-Mart and
TRU.[1] Since then, I hear service to smaller toy shops has gotten much
worse. They also "updated" their ordering system which, apparently, is a
big disaster for their in-house crew.. That switch-over still gets named
as excuse for everything. like lost orders, late shipments, incorrect
store address on slips, missing slips, shipping wrong product, etc..

If it's three years later and they're still having these problems with their
system that seems rather unacceptable.  However, if the system has been
patched/upgraded and is simply still being used as the excuse for poor
management or work habits, then that is equally unacceptable.  Once again, a
business that does not quickly address *known* problems is only asking for
trouble.

I once suggested that they provide pre-written postcards for store
visitors to mail to Enfield, emphasizing their wishes and acknowledging
need. But my friends feared a reverse outcome, should they be seen
making waves.

I figure making waves is part of being a good customer.  If a company
doesn't know what its customers want, how can it ever sort out
ordering/shipping/product problems?

My friends' former rep (who was nice, but powerless) was replaced with a
rude, ill-informed, pushy sales dork. While he insists they do their
purchasing insanely early, merchandise can ship insanely late. Holiday
time is especially sad, when my friends anxiously await their repeatedly
promised goods (some brand new SKUs) while down the street TRU and
Wal-Mart are nearly sold out of the same items, because they've had 'em
for weeks.

I know more than one soccer mom who refuses to shop at any Wal-Mart for any
reason.  It would be a shame if LEGO focused on the box stores to the
exlusion of other retailers.  But then, this is what they've done with some
of their product lines isn't it?

The whole thing stinks. But I don't know of anything we can do to
improve the situation.

Except maybe to complain here.

I agree.  :)

Though I don't see it as complaining... I see it as an open, honest dialog.
If the company wants to listen, they know the URL of this site.  If not, I
think it's their own bottom line that suffers.  Not because of the dollars
that some adult fans may decide not to spend, but because of the types of
ideas and opinions that get expressed here.

Regards,
Allan B.

- Expert Builder website
- http://www.apotome.com/builder