 Marketplace / Theory / 1423
Re: Sending Cash Abroad - USPS regulations
Newsgroups:
lugnet.market.theory
Date:
Mon, 26 Jun 2000 20:58:35 GMT

In lugnet.market.theory, Will Middelaer wrote:

In lugnet.market.theory, Susan Hoover writes:

Where is a definitive reference that sending cash through the mail
is illegal?

Susan,

I am sure you are correct about sending cash domestically being
legal.  When the new "golden" dollars were first released to
Wal-mart this spring they were mailed to each store directly!  For a
few days there was millions and millions of dollars floating around
out there.

Or is it only sending cash through the mail *out of the country*
that is supposedly illegal?

Actually, the US allows you to send it (generally) but the receiving
country may not allow it to be imported, depending upon the country.

(snipped www.usps.com references)

Umm, thanks, that clears it up.  So, the US doesn't care if the money
goes out, but also wants to make sure you know that it may not get
there.

FWIW, I have sent cash to the UK and Australia with no problems.  I'd
probably worry about sending cash to, oh, say Bulgaria or somesuch.

A coworker was describing today how one of his relatives sent cash to
another relative in Vietnam -- rolled up inside the corrugations of a
cardboard box that presumably held more innocuous items.  The
police/inspectors/gov't/whoever ripped the box apart in front of the
recipient's family, who were forced to watch thousands of dollars
being "appropriated".

--
Susan Hoover
Houston, TX