 Marketplace / Theory / 1418
Re: Sending Cash Abroad
Newsgroups:
lugnet.market.theory
Date:
Thu, 15 Jun 2000 20:48:32 GMT

In lugnet.market.theory, David Jones wrote:

I was willing to send cash except that I seem to recall people
questioning the ethics of the Italian Postal Service and I did not
before realize that it was considered illegal.  And it is a
largish sum of money being sent in cash too -- hence my desire to
send it via registered UPS.

Yes, it is illegal.  USPS gives me hard time about it a lot.
(snip)

People keep saying this, but I have looked all over the USPS site
(<http://www.usps.gov/>), as well as in the U.S. Code
(<http://uscode.house.gov/>), and I can't find anything that says it's
illegal to send currency through the mail.  To the contrary, the USPS
provides instructions for sending cash via registered mail, as well as
instructions for claiming a loss of cash sent via Express mail (up to
$15).

Where is a definitive reference that sending cash through the mail is
illegal?

Or is it only sending cash through the mail *out of the country* that
is supposedly illegal?

Just wondering...

--
Susan Hoover