 Marketplace / Theory / 1419
Re: Sending Cash Abroad - USPS regulations
Newsgroups:
lugnet.market.theory
Date:
Fri, 23 Jun 2000 20:13:21 GMT

In lugnet.market.theory, Susan Hoover writes:

Where is a definitive reference that sending cash through the mail is
illegal?

Susan,

I am sure you are correct about sending cash domestically being legal.  When
the new "golden" dollars were first released to Wal-mart this spring they were
mailed to each store directly!  For a few days there was millions and millions
of dollars floating around out there.

Or is it only sending cash through the mail *out of the country* that
is supposedly illegal?

Actually, the US allows you to send it (generally) but the receiving country
may not allow it to be imported, depending upon the country.

The following is from some stuff I found on the www.usps.com international
mailing manual.  I would give a link but the site is so framed up I do not
know the direct link.

Basically, you are allowed to send it but the receiver may not be allowed to
import it.  Further, you are only allowed to do it in certain kinds of mail.

Hope this helps

Will
(And yes, IAAL BUT none of this should be taken as legal advice.  Heck, I
don't even trust me as my own lawyer. (Sorry, bad joke reference.))

Valuable Articles

134.1 List of Articles

The following valuable articles may be sent only in registered letter packages
and insured parcels and are not mailable in Express Mail International
Service (EMS) shipments (see 211.2).

a. Coins, banknotes, and currency notes (paper money).

b. Instruments payable to bearer. (The term “instruments payable to
bearer” includes checks, drafts, or securities that can be legally cashed
or easily negotiated by anyone who may come into possession of them.
A check or draft payable to a specific payee is not regarded as payable
to bearer unless the payee has endorsed it in blank. If not endorsed, or
if endorsed in favor of another specific payee, it is not regarded as
payable to bearer.)

c. Traveler’s checks.

d. Manufactured and unmanufactured platinum, gold, and silver.

e. Precious stones, jewels, jewelry, and other valuable articles.

134.2 Prohibitions

Individual countries prohibit or restrict some or all of the valuable items
listed above. See the “Prohibitions and Restrictions” section in the Individual
Country Listings.

The following is fromt the Express Mail International Service (EMS) guide:

Prohibited EMS Items

The following items are prohibited in all EMS shipments: coins; banknotes;
currency notes (paper money); securities of any kind payable to bearer;
traveler’s checks; platinum, gold, and silver (manufactured or not); precious
stones; jewelry; and other valuable articles.