 Marketplace / Theory / 1362
Re: Sending Cash Abroad
Newsgroups:
lugnet.market.theory
Date:
Tue, 30 May 2000 22:55:23 GMT

richard marchetti wrote:

Hey:

I live in the United States and have a semi-large deal pending with someone in
Italy and I have been trying to select the best method of payment.  I was
going to send cash via a registered letter with UPS except that they informed
me that it was illegal to send cash outside the United States.  That this
should be a illegal comes as a surprise to me as this method of payment
appears regularly as the recommended method of paying international sellers on
eBay.

Where can I obtain the best rate on an international check or money order (SF,
California)?  My bank wanted to charge me $75 for such a draft!!! With
shipping and so on, this deal I have been looking forward to is becoming less
of a deal all the time...it's turning out that I will be paying an enormous
premium on these items just to deal with someone internationally.

I'm surprised.  I had to pay nothing more than the quoted exchange rate at my bank
to get Sterling bank notes.  If I wanted a money order, yes, it would be expensive
to get it in lira (not quite that expensive) but getting foreign bank notes is
relatively cheap here.  However, bear in mind that for me "here" is Manhattan, so
it's probably a whole different ballgame.

I was willing to send cash except that I seem to recall people questioning the
ethics of the Italian Postal Service and I did not before realize that it was
considered illegal.  And it is a largish sum of money being sent in cash too --
hence my desire to send it via registered UPS.

UPS will be very expensive by itself!  Internationally they're almost usurious--I
once wanted to send something to Canada and found this out very quickly.  However,
have you asked if you can get a postal money order in lira from the US Postal
Service?  It might take three or four weeks, but you should be able to do it (or in
Euros if not in lira).  The problem is that getting such drafts requires action on
part of the St. Louis office of the USPS, so that's where the delay comes from.

In short, check with the US Postal Service.  Barring that, maybe a bank in Los
Angeles might be able to help you...?  Or perhaps www.bidpay.com or any of those
payment conversion services online?

best

Lindsay