 Marketplace / Theory / 1360
1359  |  1361
Subject:
Sending Cash Abroad
Newsgroups:
lugnet.market.theory
Date:
Tue, 30 May 2000 15:53:50 GMT

Hey:

I live in the United States and have a semi-large deal pending with someone in
Italy and I have been trying to select the best method of payment.  I was
going to send cash via a registered letter with UPS except that they informed
me that it was illegal to send cash outside the United States.  That this
should be a illegal comes as a surprise to me as this method of payment
appears regularly as the recommended method of paying international sellers on
eBay.

Where can I obtain the best rate on an international check or money order (SF,
California)?  My bank wanted to charge me $75 for such a draft!!! With
shipping and so on, this deal I have been looking forward to is becoming less
of a deal all the time...it's turning out that I will be paying an enormous
premium on these items just to deal with someone internationally.

I was willing to send cash except that I seem to recall people questioning the
ethics of the Italian Postal Service and I did not before realize that it was
considered illegal.  And it is a largish sum of money being sent in cash too --
hence my desire to send it via registered UPS.

Any advice will be appreciated.  Feel free to write to me privately at
blueofnoon@aol.com or merely reply here. I guess when we are discussing issues
of legalities its fair to mention that people might want to be cautious about
what they post about here.

-- Richard