 Marketplace / Theory / 1363
Re: Sending Cash Abroad
Newsgroups:
lugnet.market.theory
Date:
Wed, 31 May 2000 13:42:47 GMT

Where can I obtain the best rate on an international check or money order • (SF,
California)?  My bank wanted to charge me $75 for such a draft!!! With
shipping and so on, this deal I have been looking forward to is becoming • less
of a deal all the time...it's turning out that I will be paying an • enormous
premium on these items just to deal with someone internationally.

They ain't cheap no matter where you get them.  I think the last time I
*HAD* to use an Intl money order, I just went through the regular postal
service.  I want to say I ended up spending close to an extra $20 for the
money order.  Also, they will not convert money for you.  You just take your
US cash in with you and pray that the exchange rates dont work against you
in the week it takes them to process the thing.  I haven't checked into AmEx
so you might see what they can do, but I won't make you any promises

I was willing to send cash except that I seem to recall people questioning • the
ethics of the Italian Postal Service and I did not before realize that it • was
considered illegal.  And it is a largish sum of money being sent in cash • too --
hence my desire to send it via registered UPS.

Yes, it is illegal.  USPS gives me hard time about it a lot.  This is what
you do though:  Write the retailer a short letter on 8.5 X 11 paper (just
put something about this is John Doe mailing you payment for your 1X1 polka
dotted flat slopes.  Please mail them to...)  Fold the letter in thirds and
put the cash inside.  Put the letter in an envelope (security envelope if
you have them).  Do all this BEFORE you go down to the shipping office, then
simply mail your envelope inside their envelope.  If UPS (or whoever) asks
what you are mailing, tell them its contract papers (technically, this is
true).  They shouldn't give you any hassle about it.  (On the off chance
that they do, tell them its private, and if they STILL bother you, remind
them that they don't have a search warrant.)  Granted this doesn't excuse
the legality of mailing cash international, but its the most convienant way
to push it through the mail without anybody bothering you about it.

Davy