 Marketplace / Theory / 1087
Re: Feedback.....
Newsgroups:
lugnet.market.theory
Date:
Sat, 26 Feb 2000 04:27:45 GMT

In lugnet.market.theory, John Robert Blaze Kanehl writes:
I buy alot off eBay.....I always leave feedback (except for 1 instance I
just realized)

Considering I pay in hour to 3 days, I am suprised at how little feedback is
posted towards me ....

I generally don't solicit it, but I would really like to break the 25
barrier (considering I have had twice as many transactions)

Funny, I have this exact same problem.  My feedback number should be double
what it is and I always leave feedback unless the deal is not quite right.

Withholding feedback on a well-done deal does not sit too well with me.  If it
has anything to do with sellers not getting as much for their item as they had
hoped, then I would not be too surprised to learn this.

One the few occasions I have NOT left feedback for sellers it has been because
the item I received did not match the auction description.  I have so much Lego
already that if the missing elements are not critical, I simply do not worry
about them, like basic bricks missing, for example.  Specialized pieces are
definitely another matter if that is what I was bidding on and expected to
receive.
I once bought a Pirate lot of used ~sets~ that were advertised as ~all over 90
percent complete~  which was not what I received.  Out of six or so sets, I was
not able to complete any of them to anything close to 90 percent completeness.
Emails during the auction assured me that I would be getting many ~extras~ to
make up for any missing elements--what I received was not even close to that.
Post-delivery emails gained nothing.

I chose to not leave any feedback even though the seller asked several times.
This was my best way to reciprocate on such a poor deal.
Negative feedback would not have been a good option, IMO.  Negative feedback
almost always causes harm to the one posting it as they then receive negative
feedback which may not be truthful.  Negative feedback is not worth posting in
most cases, which is unfortunate.  I have even had bad luck with neutral
feedback when I have had to use it as the seller then becomes overly defensive
and may attempt to shift blame.

As for not receiving good feedback when you have been deserving, you can try
what I do:
When sending my post-auction reply to the seller, I indicate that an email is
not necessary when payment is received.  Instead, mention that they can provide
payment confirmation by simply applying Ebay feedback for you.  Then mention
that you will do the same after the goods arrive and you have had time to
inspect them.  This has been successful for me except where sellers insist on
no feedback for you until you leave it for them (more and more common among
Ebay power sellers who have gotten burned by bidders too often).
I like this option as I do not care to have a whole bunch of emails from the
seller simply telling me things like payment has been received, package has
been shipped, etc.

Try this and see how it goes.  It is not perfect and neither are Ebay seller
and bidders.  Hope you get more feedback that you deserve....

__Kevin Salm__