 Marketplace / Shopping / 9792
Re: Construction toys non-returnable?!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.market.shopping
Date:
Fri, 23 Aug 2002 16:35:05 GMT

Christopher Weeks wrote:
I think, like you, my fear is the impact that this kind of "policy" might
have on kids who are less assertive of their rights.  I'm absolutely sure
that I will always be able to return anything that I might try to because I
know how the game works.  But kids often get the shaft by overbearing
unscrupulous shop personnel.  I have, on a couple of occasions intervened on
a young stranger's behalf when I thought they were being mistreated.  It's a
shame that's needed as the exception and it's horrible that it might be
needed as the rule.

Of course the free marketer in me would point out that poor customer
service is in part the price we are paying for prefering discount
superbox stores over more expensive smaller specialized stores where the
staff treats you as a human.

We are also seeing these mangled products with missing parts (either
lost on the floor in the store, lost by a kid opening the toy and
deciding he didn't want it, or being scarfed by sleazeballs) because we
are increasingly not wanting to hold individuals responsible for their
actions (of course pilferage and damage has been with us since the first
time someone set up anything resembling a store I'm sure). Again,
smaller more personal stores probably have less of this problem. One
result of these problems is a reasonable decision to not accept return
of opened items. Of course the store should have the decency to remove
opened items from the shelves, or mark them down with a sticker
indicating they are being sold "as is" (and be happy to let you open it
at the customer service counter for examination before purchasing). Of
course if they do everything right there, economics probably say they
should toss them in the dumpster.

Frank