 Marketplace / Shopping / 9779
9778  |  9780
Subject:
Construction toys non-returnable?!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.market.shopping
Date:
Fri, 23 Aug 2002 00:29:43 GMT

Hey Y'all:

Twice in as many months I have purchased sets at Wal-mart and TRU that had
been opened and retaped at the stores.  One sees that the item has been
opened, but if it's the last item of it's kind one might be persuaded to
purchase it anyway -- who cares about the box if the product is still all
there, right?  And the good faith assumption is that the store made at least
a cursory check to make sure the stuff was all there.

But twice now I was burned on this good faith assumption -- I began to build
only to realize that items were indeed missing.  So I returned the sets for
refund.

But here's the deal: both stores have told me that they have policies
against receiving Lego, Mega Bloks, and the like for return -- at Wal-mart
they seemed to have a blanket refusal in place, while at TRU they had a set
cost limit that factored in.  Wal-mart tried to tell me this nonsense this
very afternoon at lunch.  I asserted myself and insisted that my purchase
was based on the good faith assumption that item was complete and that I
felt absolutely within my rights to insist on a refund for an incomplete
item purchased at full retail cost.  I suggested that if they could not
stand behind the product 100% to be complete then they should either
clearance the item "as is" or remove the item from stock (I mean, these
items were no longer factory sealed, right?) -- but that in no case was I at
fault for purchasing the item in good faith as complete.  In this instance
they agreed to an exchange.

Has this happened to anyone else?  It seems that Lego and other construction
toys are being singled out as non-returnable.  I have my doubts that they
can legally do this while accepting other products with almost no questions
asked.  Of course, as a regular buyer of these kinds of products I was
annoyed that my buyer satisfaction was being singled out as unimportant. I
almost lost my temper, but in the main I remained civil yet insistent -- and
finally got my way. Is there some crazy assumption on the part of retail
chains that it's okay to screw children (the more average buyer of these
kinds of toys) out of their money?  Can you imagine the heartbreak of some
young person trying to make the transaction I made today, and being told
that their incomplete toy was non-returnable?  What gives?

Target, by contrast, has almost never given me grief over a return of any
kind -- be it toys, a gift return, linens, receipt, no reciept, what have you...

Thoughts?

-- Hop-Frog