 Marketplace / Shopping / 8692
8691  |  8693
Subject:
Premature Discount Wackiness at 8 Mile and Van Dyke Target (FOTM? :) )
Newsgroups:
lugnet.market.shopping
Date:
Tue, 8 Jan 2002 04:28:50 GMT

In lugnet.market.shopping, Mike Walsh writes:
We do a lot of shopping at Target for our general needs so it isn't uncommon
for me to visit more than once a week.  Last night I went because we were
low on diapers and it looks like more winter weather is on its way.  As I
was leaving Target (right at closing time) the manager was near the door so
I decided to ask her when toys would be marked down to 50%.  She said she
wasn't sure as it was under control of the computer system.

I then asked a couple of more questions and this is what I was able to glean
from her, I would be curious if anyone else could triangulate it.  I have no
reason to doubt her and she spoke as if she new what she was talking about.

Clearance items are tagged at the corporate level but the computers at the
local stores actually control when items move from one clearance level to
another.  As long as merchandise is moving out of the store at a reasonable
rate the discount level will remain at the current level (30% in the case of
my local store).  Once things stop moving, the computer system will flag a
price reudction and the staff will go tag appropriate items and the process
will begin again until at some point when the system essentially flushes
what ever is left (i.e. 75% off).

She told me this happens on a store by store basis which would explain why
we see different levels of clearance at different stores.

   ...Including, as I found out on Saturday the 5th, some stores going
   full-bore to 75% off.  I happened by 8 Mile and Van Dyke (Detroit)
   to check out the inventory, saw a load of good sets including a
   bunch of Imperial Shuttles and Watto's Junkyards, scanned a few,
   and almost fainted.  Some sets were at 50% off, but all the Soccer,
   SW, and most of the LoM sets (and the Bionicle Manas) were at 75%
   off or more (though not at a "final level" of discount, meaning with
   the 4 ending the price).  Yeah, I bit at that price point, so my
   apologies to Eric and the rest of the Detroit crowd.  :)  On the
   bright side, I'm all done now--I spent over $300 there.

   So some Targets that historically have a hard time moving stock
   before the new inventory needs to be installed *may* in fact be
   starting their high-discount levels *early* rather than late.  It
   really does bear reconnaissance, folks.  (And for the Detroit
   crowd--I stopped back today to see if anything was left, because
   I only took half of the aggregate value of sets available at that
   discount, and only the Manas were left for $22.40.  And no, it's
   a ways away from me, so I can't pick up any for anyone else.)

   best

   LFB (the un-official Lucky Shopper and a very happy camper indeed)