 Marketplace / Shopping / 8688
Re: 2nd Round of Target Sales Begins!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.market.shopping
Date:
Mon, 7 Jan 2002 18:33:17 GMT

In lugnet.market.shopping, Matt Penney writes:
Clearance items are tagged at the corporate level but the computers at the
local stores actually control when items move from one clearance level to
another.  As long as merchandise is moving out of the store at a reasonable
rate the discount level will remain at the current level (30% in the case of
my local store).  Once things stop moving, the computer system will flag a
price reudction and the staff will go tag appropriate items and the process
will begin again until at some point when the system essentially flushes
what ever is left (i.e. 75% off).

Mike

If Target is this advanced nationwide I would be impressed.  A local food
vendor here in Texas (HEB) was starting to use a computer to help with or
better yet controll stocking this summer (at the time it was only the 4th
HEB to have such a system(San Antonio)).  It is an excellent idea in theory
and is definatly the wave of the future.

The Food chain computer tracket each and every item and then reordered a
case after a case had been sold.  I wonder if the target computer is doing
the same?  Is it tracking the # of Droid Escapes sold or just the number of
clearance toys?  I'd bet all toys are lumped in together in a section.

Target seems to like getting rid of clearance items, unlike K-mart.  Perhaps
the computer can only flag for early reductions, meaning by Monday all
stores would be at 50% anyway.  I hope so anyway, I've been checking the
site all day for a Target update :)

Just out of curiosity was this a new or an old target?

Matt

Actually, Target controls this on a store by store basis.  2 weeks ago, Kare
11 (local TV news here in Minn) had a 15 minute extra on store advancements
on how they are trying to improve moving merchandise.  Target was explaining
how the system tracks the sale of items and if an item hasn't sold enough in
x days, the computer would flag it and notify the 'system admin' that the
item needs to be reduced.  It was a really interesting news 'extra.'