 Marketplace / Shopping / 8672
Re: 2nd Round of Target Sales Begins!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.market.shopping
Date:
Sun, 6 Jan 2002 02:23:04 GMT

"Mark Cornell" <mcornell@chi.tds.net> wrote in message
news:3C371988.BD12880F@chi.tds.net...
As of yesterday (1/4/02), my local Target had separated out all of the • clearance
Lego and other toys into their own clearance section. Everything was still • 30%
off. The only sets of note on clearance are a few Women's Soccer Team • sets,
fifty or so Droid Escapes, a few dinosaurs, and a number of assorted Jack • Stone
sets. The trains are not on clearance and also mysteriously dropped from • 12 down
to five.

[ ... snipped ... ]

We do a lot of shopping at Target for our general needs so it isn't uncommon
for me to visit more than once a week.  Last night I went because we were
low on diapers and it looks like more winter weather is on its way.  As I
was leaving Target (right at closing time) the manager was near the door so
I decided to ask her when toys would be marked down to 50%.  She said she
wasn't sure as it was under control of the computer system.

I then asked a couple of more questions and this is what I was able to glean
from her, I would be curious if anyone else could triangulate it.  I have no
reason to doubt her and she spoke as if she new what she was talking about.

Clearance items are tagged at the corporate level but the computers at the
local stores actually control when items move from one clearance level to
another.  As long as merchandise is moving out of the store at a reasonable
rate the discount level will remain at the current level (30% in the case of
my local store).  Once things stop moving, the computer system will flag a
price reudction and the staff will go tag appropriate items and the process
will begin again until at some point when the system essentially flushes
what ever is left (i.e. 75% off).

She told me this happens on a store by store basis which would explain why
we see different levels of clearance at different stores.

Mike

http://www.nclug.net - North Carolina LEGO Users Group
http://www.carolinatrainbuilders - Carolina Train Builders
http://www.brickbay.com/store.asp?u=mpw - Brick Depot