 Marketplace / Shopping / 2317
Re: Clearance price-matching (was Re: Last round of Target markdowns?)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.market.shopping
Date:
Thu, 20 Jan 2000 20:12:59 GMT

In lugnet.market.shopping, Adam Hoekwater writes:
In lugnet.market.shopping, Larry Pieniazek writes:

Last time I tried this they said the point of clearances was to clear.
They'd let me return the items and get what I paid back (40% off) but
stated... you will have to wait 24 hours to rebuy at the lower price.

I don't understand this logic.

'We don't want it anymore, so it's on clearance. But you can return it for the
40% off price and we'll give you all the money back. Then we WILL sell it
again, but at a MUCH LOWER price, but NOT TO YOU, because you don't deserve
it?'

I think it makes total sense (though it's not how I *wish* it worked.) The
crux of the matter is that the return policy is for people who want to
*return* something, not get the best price for it. If their policy was refund
the difference then everyone would snatch up everything at 20% off, wait a few
weeks until the price had dropped to 70% off and take it all back for their
50% refund.

The point they're making is, don't buy a clearance item until it's at a price
you're happy with. Most stores do this by not allowing returns on clearance
merchandise at all.

Don't they realize that buying something for a large amount of money and then
selling the same thing at a much smaller price is the same as just giving the
money away?

No, it's not. As in Larry's case, that 24 hour waiting period forces you to
decide if it's worth keeping at the price you paid or if you'll gamble on
somebody else snatching it up in the meantime. Every time you decide not to
gamble that's more money in their pocket which is, of course, the point.

This policy of punishing your smart customers is just bad business sense.
Besides, making you buy it again the next day gives you ANOTHER 30 days for
the price to go down even more. Just some thoughts...

"Punishing" smart customers is rarely a bad idea. You obviously don't like
this policy. Does that mean you're never going to shop at Target again?
Doubtful. You'll continue to buy wherever you can get the merchandise you want
for the lowest price.

Doug