 Marketplace / Shopping / 2310
2309  |  2311
Subject:
Clearance price-matching (was Re: Last round of Target markdowns?)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.market.shopping
Date:
Thu, 20 Jan 2000 17:26:33 GMT

In lugnet.market.shopping, Adam Hoekwater writes:
Okay, here's my proposal: What if one very trusting Lugnetter and one very
honest Lugnetter get together for a lucrative deal? Let's say I buy a bunch of
RIS 1.5's and Tie Fighter vs. Y-Wings at my local Target at 25-40% off. Then
couldn't I just overnight-mail the receipt to my friend in "Happy-land" where
Targets have decent discounts, and ask him to go in and get the price match
difference applied to my credit card? Does anybody have reason to believe this
would not work? Just an idea....

  About 5 or 6 years ago, I would regularly bring receipts back on clearance
items which had gone down further to receive the cash difference.  That is, if
I had bought some of set XXX, and then I found a Target store with that same
set marked down further, I would take the receipt up to customer service and
they would refund the difference for each of the sets.

  Unfortunately, I don't think Target officially allows this anymore.  The
last time I remember doing this, the counter person said something like, "I
don't think I'm supposed to be doing this, but I'll do it.  Next time you need
to physically return the items."  Then the next time I saw/noticed their
return and price matching policy, I noticed that it says something about not
price-matching on items bought on clearance.  I don't know if the policy
actually changed or if this one store just started enforcing it, but I haven't
tried to do the receipt adjustment since.

  So the person might be able to return the items for you, and then try to
rebuy them at the lower price, but depending on the store they might make this
difficult.

--Raymond Flournoy
flournoy@cs.stanford.edu       "Because, of course, a man with an
Computer Science Dept.          obsession is a man who has very little
Stanford University, CA         sales-resistance."      -- C. S. Lewis