 Local / United Kingdom / 6515
Re: garage doors arrived today
Newsgroups:
lugnet.loc.uk
Date:
Fri, 11 May 2001 21:00:20 GMT

In lugnet.loc.uk, Lindsay Frederick Braun writes:
In lugnet.loc.uk, Chris Leach writes:
In lugnet.loc.uk, Steve Lane writes:
I've just looked on ebay and their are two lots of four tyres, one set of
each listed above. New misb straight from S&H no doubt. I suppose the vendor
could be described as offering a service to those outside of europe who
can't buy direct. Although it would be a shame if a european buyer paid over
the odds if they didn't know they could buy direct. The price hasn't gone
above S&H's yet but I'm sure it will.

What do you lot think?
I think it's sad ,you know alot of these people didn't buy these parts for
MOC's but just for retail.On Brickbay a guy already put 10 sets of garage
doors up for sale.At the rates he is chargeing he would get over 60
U.S.dollars for something that cost him less then 4 U.S.dollars(according to
exchange rates)
First off, at the prices lisited on BB it was a total of $60.30 (14x1x2's
X$1.20....10slats at $3.25....1x14((2)) at $5.50) not $40.
  Um, you mean *$40* US.  And don't forget, he had to pay
  to have them shipped over, so that's extra; he had to pay
  exchange on his credit card, so that's extra; and so on,
  and so forth.  What makes you think that ten sets of
  garage doors indicates profiteering?  I know at least one
  person who bought almost 60 of them, with the intention
  of selling 20 to cover the cost of the 40 to be used in
  MOCs!  I'd bet most of the people doing this are in exactly
  the same boat.
What exchange?They were avalible in the UK so does mean extra
shipping/exchangeing? Or just normal shipping?If you buy extra however you
aren't leting other people have a chance to get them at regular
retail.That's what i don't like.Just to let you know if you are thinking i'm
not happy about not getting any that's not it.I already have over 50 sets
myself including that old garage set with the yellow groved parts.So i am
not bitter just making a small point.
  Why the vitriol?  Because I'm one of these "sad" people
  who buys finds like this and sells half to finance the
  other half.  I do it because, frankly, I'm lucky to make
  UKP 12,000 in a year, and if I want to support my hobby
  I have no other choice.  I'm an academic, and in the
  humanities at that, so expensive things are generally
  denied me.  :)
Hmmm a academic? I assume that is a teacher.Teachers,firefighters and police
are IMO some of the most under paided people here in the U.S.They teach us
and protect us(and risk there lives (FD/PD) )Yet we reward them with lousy pay.
  But regarding the realized cost:  I agree with Lawrence.
  It will be interesting to see how they turn out--because
  I'd bet most of the high rollers on this stuff either got
  in on it directly or will be sated quite quickly, and the
  price will be depressed.  As a result, more people who
  want these will get them at reasonable prices, which is
  a good thing for the buyers.  Buyers who sell aren't
  villains, they're usually people who have an even greater
  love for the brick than the average AFOL, which is why
  and how they've developed the latent expertise necessary to
  engage in these transatlantic enterprises and make them
  worthwhile.
It will be interesting to see how nuch these do go for.(if BB evere gets up
again that is:-(  )

  Lindsay