 Local / United Kingdom / 4198
Re: TVLF 2000 Web page up
Newsgroups:
lugnet.loc.uk
Date:
Wed, 28 Jun 2000 13:08:29 GMT

In lugnet.loc.uk, Huw Millington writes:

I liked your idea of some form of speed competition. I have just acquired a
Technic timer, which is pretty cool. If there's interest we could conjure up
some rules.

I used to challenge my son and a couple of his mates to build legomobiles to
race across the room.
The fastest machines were unfortunately the most fragile. ie no body, very
flimsy connections. Basically a motor with a battery box behind, the wheels
attached directly to these, and a simple drive system.

It helped teach them a lot about gears, as they debated whether you should
have the fastest acceleration, or highest final speed. This depended on the
length of the course (kitchen vs the lounge).
The simplest machines had no gears and often ended up winning, simply cause
they were the lightest and had least friction in the drive, and didnt fall
apart so quickly, or deviate from course.

Then there was also one motor vs two motor debates, or wheel size.
Or number of wheels. 4 or 3, or even 2.
Then there was surface resistance (carpet vs tiles)
The 2 wheel motor bike style was often the fastest due to least resistance, if
you could keep it upright (use a thick tyre at the rear). But very hard to
keep in a staight line.

All in all it was quite a good way I thougb to get kids playing with lego

regards
lawrence