 Local / United Kingdom / 3360
Re: Anyone Fancy a Thames Valley Legofest?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.loc.uk
Date:
Tue, 14 Mar 2000 19:04:29 GMT

On Tue, 14 Mar 2000, Huw Millington (<FrF5C1.8ur@lugnet.com>) wrote at
15:53:05

I am not keen on public attendance.  Rather selfish I know, but what do we
have to gain from them unless they bring loads of stuff for sale to us,
which after all is the reverse of the public expectations of such an event.
I go to a lot of time and effort to track down elusive, old or cheap sets,
and am more than willing to pass them on to fellow enthusiatsts at cost, but
would not be willing to sell to joe public who wouldn't appreciate them.

I'm with Huw on this one. I used to do model railway exhibitions, and
you do spend a lot of time dealing with the public. Frankly, I'd rather
be dealing with fellow enthusiasts.

OTOH, if someone was to suggest a UK LEGO *show*, I would be all for it,
as it would be a different proposition altogether.

I didn't like the layout on the floor. I had a lot of custom wagons with me,
but did't want to get them out for fear of damage - kicking or derailments
on hard floor

I don't *think* anything got kicked, and the bricks are going to get
scratched anyway ;-)

. The layout was good, but it wasn't long before it degerated
into a 'how long can we make the freight train' game.

Just a bit of fun. How long is it interesting to just watch trains going
round & round & round...

I don't think anything
was damaged, although early on I did witness a derailment which caused the
whole train to run across the floor on its side - probably getting scratched
as it went.

Call me old-fashioned, but I only build with new LEGO and like to keep it
looking new.

Table top next time, please!

Ah, but if anything falls off, it's *definitely* gonna go bang!

I like the ad-hoc trading arrangement, but it would be fun to hold a proper
auction, like Alan's one, but with lots contributed by everyone,
particularly if the prices were as low as Alan's!

I wouldn't like it to become a major part of the fest, though. The
altruistic bonhomie is part of the good atmosphere.

I think the problem with a lot of the trading is that we all have most
of what we want :-)

Oh, and count me in for any event south of Birmingham. (When does a Fest
become a Minifest? When only certain people are invited, when its aimed at a
particular geographial area?)

I was working on a geographical area, and length of event. Anyone can
come to the Cheshire minifest, as long as they don't want to stay for
tea!

--
Tony Priestman