 Local / United Kingdom / 3330
Re: Anyone Fancy a Thames Valley Legofest?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.loc.uk
Date:
Mon, 13 Mar 2000 12:23:04 GMT

lawrence wilkes <lawrence_wilkes@msn.com> wrote in message
Following the great day I had at Reddich, I feel compelled to organise a
Thames Valley Legofest.

OK, so that's now cast in stone ;-)

Looking at the current calender - April Cheshire, May/June Southport - • then a
July event would avoid some clashes.
Also would be a nice warm(?) weekend for a combined visit to nearby • LegoLand
Windsor.

The Cheshire meet is intended as a mini-fest, so the next biggie will be
Southport. As you suggest (in your own reply), later into August for Thames
Valley would spread out the fests a bit more. This could even become the
Eurofest?!? This close to LEGOLAND would make an ideal European venue...

- roped off area for true festers to display models, set up layouts

Agree.

- back room rumage area for true festers to hunt for pieces

I would have no particular problem with the public rumaging through my
(Joyce's) parts boxes. I would guess that many of us would want to keep our
parts trades / sales (or at least some of them) to true festers only though.

- separate trade/sales area accessible by public - but clearly would need • to
be manned by sellers - they could perhaps share resource, e.g. man each • others
stands whilst off playing, hunting.

I'd be happy to man the area, and Joyce might come along too. I've held
stalls before while clearing out my diecasts collections, while Joyce is a
full time toy trader...

I was surprised how little sales activity was going on last weekend,
considering how much stuff some folks had brought with them. access by the
public might make it a more profitable venture for these guys - but would
require us to tell the public its happening - advert in free papers • wouldnt
cost much.

I think that most of us treasure our purchases from boot fairs and small
ads, and we therefore tend to trade more than sell. I'm probably the black
sheep here, particularly with my recently inherited 'stock' in wanting to se
ll!

Who is interested in selling to the public? or allowing them in. I am not
bothered either way - but might help fund the activity and get some of you • a
profit on the day. I loved the informality of Reddifest - but can see the
attractions of a bigger audience.

As above, I guess that most of us aren't out to make a profit, but admitting
the public for a fee would certainly help fund the cost of the venue. We
could even aproach it like model train shows: make sure that we have plenty
of variety in the displays (trains et al), with a minority of seller stalls
sprinkled around. BUT... normal fest trading would be hidden away in a back
room, and we run the risk of becoming too commercial about the whole thing.
?

I though an 'auction hour' might be a good idea - actually have a more
organised auction period for everyone to auction off stuff (rather than • Alan's
impromtu one) - but again this requires a reasonable crowd to get the • prices
going - or is everyone happy to sell low to a friend? Could use reserve
prices.

I personally think that Alans "pound!!!" auction was great ;-) To do it
properly, we need to appoint an auctioneer, have reserves, set a start time,
make sure that the public are aware... getting commercial again?

Theme suggestions for TVLF
- train seemed to be popular

Definately! Suggest that we pre-arrange how we will each mark our track and
rolling stock (couloured sticker under track / sticker or particular brick
under vehicles / etc.).

- castle - what about a big medieval battle scene? can anyone assemble • armies?
I want to work on a large custom castle this spring.
- Star wars - would love to see more of Craig and tony's custom star wars
creations - that giant Millenium falcon. (also appeals to the public if we
desided to let them in.

Over to you guys.

I will reseach premises. I will find out cost of local halls - Probably • more
costly (this is thames valley after all).
This will be in Wokingham/Crowthorne area - about 10 miles from legoland
Accomodation is likely to be expensive around here too in comparison to
Reddich, though there are travel lodges for £37 per room.

If this goes 'Euro', perhaps this will be the first two-day event? Some of
us will want to visit LEGOLAND at some point over the space of a weekend,
particularly if havaing travelled any considerable distance...

Just my 3p worth (a bit more waffle than tuppence, eh?)

Jono.