 Local / United Kingdom / 3328
3327  |  3329
Subject:
Anyone Fancy a Thames Valley Legofest?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.loc.uk
Date:
Mon, 13 Mar 2000 10:46:59 GMT

Following the great day I had at Reddich, I feel compelled to organise a
Thames Valley Legofest.

Looking at the current calender - April Cheshire, May/June Southport - then a
July event would avoid some clashes.
Also would be a nice warm(?) weekend for a combined visit to nearby LegoLand
Windsor.

Does School holidays affect any of you much - i.e. better in term time or out?
Late or early July?

Despite some ambitious ideas, its probably much easier to do something like
reddich, - but with more space. I am interested to see how the Southport event
turns out with members of the public.

But I dont think the reddich style and the public mix. Perhaps a combination
of the two. e.g.
- roped off area for true festers to display models, set up layouts
- back room rumage area for true festers to hunt for pieces
- separate trade/sales area accessible by public - but clearly would need to
be manned by sellers - they could perhaps share resource, e.g. man each others
stands whilst off playing, hunting.

I was surprised how little sales activity was going on last weekend,
considering how much stuff some folks had brought with them. access by the
public might make it a more profitable venture for these guys - but would
require us to tell the public its happening - advert in free papers wouldnt
cost much.

Who is interested in selling to the public? or allowing them in. I am not
bothered either way - but might help fund the activity and get some of you a
profit on the day. I loved the informality of Reddifest - but can see the
attractions of a bigger audience.

I though an 'auction hour' might be a good idea - actually have a more
organised auction period for everyone to auction off stuff (rather than Alan's
impromtu one) - but again this requires a reasonable crowd to get the prices
going - or is everyone happy to sell low to a friend? Could use reserve prices.

Theme suggestions for TVLF
- train seemed to be popular
- castle - what about a big medieval battle scene? can anyone assemble armies?
I want to work on a large custom castle this spring.
- Star wars - would love to see more of Craig and tony's custom star wars
creations - that giant Millenium falcon. (also appeals to the public if we
desided to let them in.

I will reseach premises. I will find out cost of local halls - Probably more
costly (this is thames valley after all).
This will be in Wokingham/Crowthorne area - about 10 miles from legoland
Accomodation is likely to be expensive around here too in comparison to
Reddich, though there are travel lodges for £37 per room.

In summary, would like feedback on
- timing
- allowing the public in
- themes