 Local / Australia / 961
Re: Australian Roll Call
Newsgroups:
lugnet.loc.au
Date:
Wed, 31 May 2000 22:49:27 GMT

David Drew wrote in message ...

I wouldn;t mind an actual Lego Anime in CGI, but Macross Plus will
always be my fav. Evangelion and the original macross series'
(Robotech too of course), and Ranma's great for a laugh!

Yeah without a doubt, Sailor Moon, oops Evangelion, I swear I meant
Evangelion has to be the greatest anime series ever. Probably a close • second
behind Babylon 5 for best series ever. Stunning depth of scope, etc etc. I
think I'm going to have to buy a gun though to get a copy of 'End of
Evangelion' off a mate though.

Yeah, Evangelion is certainly one of the best, possibly my favourite,
although I have a sentimental preference for the "Tenchi-Muyo!" OVA series,
it's a pity they screwed it up in the TV series. Evangelion even aired on
Australian TV. Unfortunately even though SBS are a multicultural channel and
show foreign shows all the time, they screened the dubbed version of
Evangelion which is vastly inferior to the subbed version. Generally I
prefer dubbed, but this one had some inappropriate voice-casting, and
although the voice-acting was ok, it can't compare to the original Japanese
voice-acting which was just brilliant, totally realistic and full of
emotion. But then they have better voice actors in Japan because animation
is so much more lucrative there (they also have adult women with really
squeaky voices!).
Macross Plus is certainly a quality product (and has the best soundtrack of
any anime by far), but my friends & I thought that the story was a bit
boring. Nowhere near as boring as Patlabor 2 (that was excruciating) but
still a bit disappointing compared to so many of the great stories that you
get in anime.

I don't suppose any AFOL's could send be a copy??? *beg*

That's where Melbourne is good, a large Asian population means we get a lot
of anime. There's a shop down the road devoted to anime, and they import the
latest anime quite early - unfortunately even their tapes are really poor
Nth-generation videocassettes, I could dub a copy for you but I doubt that
it'd be watchable... it was barely watchable as is :-(

Kick-arse movie though ;-)

Cheers,
Paul
LUGNET member 164