 Local / Australia / 664
Re: Australian Roll Call
Newsgroups:
lugnet.loc.au, lugnet.people
Date:
Thu, 18 May 2000 00:34:29 GMT

Hey everyone, the roll call was missing the items about one's Dark Age and
the first set after it.

Name: Paul Baulch
Gender: Male
Year of Birth: 1971
Mental Age/Status of Inner Child:
Location: Melbourne
E-mail Address: paul@bigpond.net.au
LEGO/home page URL(s): http://www.geocities.com/doctorshnub
Marital Status: Lonely
Children: Yeah, sure. Invite 'em over. Gotta bring their own Lego to play
with, though.... ;-)
Occupation: Computer Programmer (games. Remember "Krush Kill N Destroy"?)
On Lugnet Since: First post 9/7/99 9:08pm to lugnet.loc.au.vic.mel but of
course there was NOBODY THERE!!! Never has been as far as I can tell. :-(

# of Sets in LEGO Collection: Around 250 at my last guess.
# of Unopened Sets in Collection: About 50, but only because I don't have
the room to build them!
# of LEGO Pieces: 250 multiplied by about 500, I guess. Around 100,000?
# of LEGO Theme Parks Visited: Why is this question on an Oz roll call???
# of LEGO fests attended: What?!? In Melbourne?!? Only if Lego were sold at
the footy :-(

First LEGO Set: Either 357 (Fire Station) or 382 (Tow truck and car). First
one I really loved, though, was 918 (Space Transport).

LEGO Dark Age: The start of my Biochemistry course at University, although
Lego was really just replaced by molecular models, which are sort of a
chemistry Lego. Then it was computer games, now its Lego and computer games.
But the Dark Age ended for Space long before other themes.

First Set after Dark Age: #6897 (Space Police) - It was love at first sight
(See below)

Favorite Theme(s): Space, space, space, theoretically contemplating becoming
re-acquainted with Castle. Like SW sets, but mainly for the parts.

Favorite Set(s): Probably #6897 - The epitome of beautiful form, elegant
function, holiday-portable size,  topped off with a good guy AND a bad guy
in the one set! Play VALUE!!!!!  For looks, though, I would probably say the
Black Seas Barracuda.

Favorite Piece(s)/Minifigure(s): Any slope, steep or low, normal or
inverted, they rock! And BURPS, I love BURPS! I mean, building hills would
otherwise be boring and expensive! Minifigs.... hmm, Ice Planet, Futuron and
1st generation Space Port minfigs.

Set/theme you would like to see: A more elegant hybrid of Technic and
minifig-scale. Giant unfurling spaceships with ten different Technic
abilities in one. More visual appeal than a straight Technic set and more
mechanical functionality than your typical minifig set. Imagine a
minifig/Model Team version of the Technic shuttle.... Mmmmmm...... *wipes
away drool*

Current LEGO Project: The first edition of Interstellar Federation News.

Greatest Claim to LEGO Fame: Not much. Many years ago, before the Web was
around, one of my spaceship designs was one of the first to be put in a
repository of Lego pictures... many years later, after most such pictures
were long forgotten, I found that pictures of my spaceship were still around
on peoples' sites! this was very gratifying to see.

Other (Non-LEGO) Interests: Computers, science, science fiction,
astronomy... I guess I'm just your classic nerd except for my general
dislike for Fantasy (well, at least the generic shambles it's become in the
West).