 Local / Australia / 735
Re: Australian Roll Call
Newsgroups:
lugnet.loc.au
Date:
Mon, 22 May 2000 22:25:39 GMT

I find that collecting the technic is actually *cheaper* than the other
themes, as there are less decent sets to buy. (unless you're into that
slizer and speed racer stuff).

I'm not into slizers, although I did buy some discounted speed racers for
parts. But basically I like the big sets.

However, buying an 8880 on ebay still hurts.

Yes, I rather fancy an 8880 myself and have been watching eBay but it's
beyond what I am prepared to pay.  I bought a 8480 Space Shuttle recently
via eBay and found the whole thing a lot of hassle, frankly. I'd much rather
just wander down to a local store and hand over the plastic.

What mindstorms robots have you built? Got any of the extras, like motors,
rotation / temp sensors? Read the books?

I have mostly built the obvious kinds of things, things that bounce off
walls, seek out the light, and I've played with grabber arms (although not
very successfully). I've had a loan of a second RCX and its pair of touch
sensors recently, so had a bit of fun building master/slave systems. I am
very weak on the mechanical engineering side of things, which is one of the
reasons I started buying a lot of the bigger Technics sets to get some ideas
for how to make certain kinds of things. I was given the Robosports
expansion set for my birthday so I acquired a third motor. I'm expecting my
Ultimate Accessory Set to get off an aeroplane tonight (rotational sensor
and remote control), which I bought through Lego Shop at Home in the USA. I
could have bought the temperature sensor while I was at it, but frankly
couldn't think of anything I wanted to do with it.

I have the books. I got the Jonathon WhatsHisName one (published by
O'Reilly) for Christmas and I have the Dave Baum one on a semester loan from
the university library, although I haven't got around to reading it
seriously. I have NQC installed.

My current project is building a photocopier, since I heard of someone
building one, so I thought I'd give it a go. But it's all in design at the
moment, which means I've thought about it a bit but haven't built anything
yet. My problem is finding a large enough block to time to sit down and work
on it. Too many other commitments, unfortunately.

Kerry