 Local / Australia / 5663
Re: Another Kick In The Guts By LA
Newsgroups:
lugnet.loc.au, lugnet.general, lugnet.dear-lego
Date:
Fri, 18 May 2001 12:15:18 GMT

In lugnet.loc.au, Eli Donati writes:
Yesterday while on the phone to LA about order some pieces I asked
the question I think everyone asks when on the phone to LA how long on LD
with an answers of oh about mid-year, but no that wasn't the answer I got this
time, I was told that LD would be out by the end of the year.so next time
you ring up LA by the end of the year and you ask that same old question
that doesn't need repeating you will most likly be told "it's coming it's coming
I know we have just been ironing out the bugs these last few years it will
be in about mid-year 2002." or will IT?

over and out. ELI hoping on a wing and a pray

Well, that about settles it...if LD can get up and running in so many
countries so quickly, and then turn around and say that 'there are some
"technical issues" that we haven't sorted out'[1] or other comments along
similar lines when they HAD a good service for missing parts going until
they decided to start LD in other countries, then one can safely assume that
TLG can't give a rats A**e about Australia.
[see http://news.lugnet.com/technic/?n=4913]

After all, if they did care, they'd try and actually promote their 'world
club', which, strangely enough, seems to have more appeal in its UK
branch...different magazines, 6 issues a year, and from what I've seen,
better 'gifts' or at least more of them. And do you know what's the best
bit...IT'S still CHEAPER than the "Australian/asian" version. Doesn't seem
much like a "world" club to me.

Oh well, at least there's second-hand shops down here. [And I promise I
won't raid them all before the June 11 Lego gathering...In fact, if there's
and visitors around on the Saturday morning, I may even be able to try and
get a tour going.]

[
Oh yes, and before I get accused of whinging or similar...look at how much
of an explanation we get from LD about the 'delays', compared with the
lead-up information they gave for the countries with LD at present.(and how
helpful LA is compared to LEGO USA, and TLG.)

BTW, If Brad has made this such a "priority"[1] then why haven't we heard
anything from him about it for several months?
]

Benjamin Whytcross
[who can't believe that a company the size of TLG can't extend an existing
service to replace a similar service they stopped, but appears to be
starting a new service in relation to older sets/parts[2]...and then blames
'technical difficulties' for the lack of ability in replacing the
pre-existing service.[1]]

[1] "And to our friends in Australia and New Zealand (especially, but also
Japan and the rest of the Asian Pacific Rim)  – we hear you! We’re working
hard to extend this service to you, but I am sure you realize the logistical
hurdles which must be leapt (high shipping costs, customs, etc); we are
endeavoring to find a solution that is as great a value to you as Shop at
Home has been to our US and Canadian customers. I do not yet have a
timetable for you, but I have made it a priority to bring this service to
you; if we can make even a limited offering to you by the end of the year we
will. But we will not launch LEGO Shop at Home (or any direct-to-you
initiative) until we are certain that we can do so in a manner which meets
your (and our) high expectations."
Taken from:
http://news.lugnet.com/lego/announce/?n=14

[2] "The big shocker for me was the very frank statement that
   S@H was "looking closely" at the possibility of putting
   a few things back into limited production.  He had no
   idea how closely that looking was being done, nor any
   idea if the moulds were even still in existence or what
   those "few things" might actually be, but IMHO it
   bears noting that we've at least made believers out of
   the phone bank and CS people at Lego S@H Europe in the
   profit potential of older parts, even outside the gold
   rush of a short-term strike.  And changes happen more
   quickly and surely the more people within a company
   who are aware!"
taken from:
http://news.lugnet.com/loc/uk/?n=6509