 Local / Australia / 5677
Re: Let's find out
Newsgroups:
lugnet.loc.au
Date:
Mon, 21 May 2001 07:37:10 GMT

In lugnet.loc.au, James Howse writes:
In lugnet.loc.au, Richie Dulin writes:
Guys guys guys.  I think Lego do have a fair idea of what this is worth, and
that's why they aren't stressed.  True as it is that we each spend waaaaaay
too much on ABS, there really aren't that many of us.
True.

I worked out some numbers for myself. I spend in the order of AU$600 a year
maybe. If everyone else in Loc.au spends TWICE that in a year (which is a
borderline unreasonble assumption) thats AU$27,000. Near as I figure that's
the value of stock *currently* sitting on the shelves at BigW Macquarie.
Their actual sales per year would be quite a bit higher. Now I'm sure that
there would be people that would buy from a Phone in (or web-based) Lego
ordering service that don't post here if it was advertised so that people
know it's available. But overall technical difficulties probably translates
as "it's just not worth our time(money) to retail for ourselves..."

If they advertise a bit they'd surely get instant sales. All it'd require is
a 30second timeslot on some crappy TV show saying "Lego now available online
and by phone". Lego itself doesn't need to sell its name, its already
trusted and true etc.. (though I'd disagree with that at present).

Even just a pamphlet inside the sets would be sufficient. Surely they have
international pamphlets they can place in each and every set during production.

I'm sure I read some research over in .general (or was it here?) about how
little of Lego's revenue actually comes from adults buying for themselves.
Sure it wasn't small, but it wasn't big as a percentage either.
In addition I'm not likely to spend (much) more if LD is available - I'd
just be directing purchases away from sets on the shelves (generally when
the sets are discounted of course). Of course, I'd probably be prepared to
go without food for couple of days for some really needed Lego.

That's the other thing, who'd spend more if S@H *was* available? Not me, I'd
by different stuff perhaps but probably not more. And the last thing LA
wants to do is hurt their retailers (who have a hard enough time selling
LEGO as it is) by taking away trade.

So, lets find out.  [snipped details of procedure]
To make sure we're not kidding ourselves, think about it as though the
details you're sending me might be part of an order I am going to place for
you on Sunday next and have delivered to you in four weeks time, which
you'll have to pay me for then.

I've looked. There isn't much that I want to buy at the moment. Perhaps I'm
not one of the ones kicked in the guts but my feeling is that for the most
part we want S@H because we don't have it, not because we want to spend
thousands of dollars immediatly (or in three months time). I know that there
are some people that do want bulk bricks, the question is do they want
bricks from the current offerings? Keeping in mind there are often other
sources of cheap bricks.

Excellent point. I'd be in the same boat. If S@H was available here, It'd
spend the same money on different items. Perhaps a little bit more because I
can have greater quantity, but we're not talking orders of magnitude higher.

Actually right at this moment I wish i could spend ANY money on Lego, but it
just doesnt seem worth it.

However to counter your last point, there's also the case of " if they can
set the system up worldwide, why can't we have it too?" If they thought that
S@H would cut into shelf sales they wouldn't dare go into the more important
markets of America and Europe.

James (who couldn't stand not being a voice of reason again)

Santosh
(Who's forgetting what lego looks like)