 LEGO Company / Official LEGO Announcements / 14
13  |  15
Subject:
bulk ordering is here!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.lego.announce, lugnet.lego.direct, lugnet.general, lugnet.announce, lugnet.market.services
Date:
Wed, 14 Jun 2000 11:39:18 GMT
Highlighted:
!! (details)

Greetings! After a somewhat longer-than-intended absence, I’m back, and with
good news: LEGO Direct is pleased to announce that bulk sales from LEGO start
today, June 14.

Our first bulk releases include standard bricks (1x4, 1x6, 1x8, 2x2, 2x4, 2x8)
in light grey, dark green, black, red, and white; as well as plates and smooth
tiles in black, red, and white; windows and doors; and spruce trees.  The
elements come in lots of 100, 50, or 25 per bag, depending on the size of the
element. There is no minimum purchase (well, you have to buy at least one
bag!) – and no limits on the maximum. Plus, let me stress that this is only
the first release: this autumn we will be enlarging the assortment of standard
elements, adding hard-to-find colors, and extending the range of more
specialized elements.

With this launch of the bulk service, we are also offering volume discounts on
purchases: a purchase of 5 bags will receive a 5% discount; 10 bags and more
will receive a 10% discount. These prices do not include shipping – we
have “unbundled” the item and shipping costs; shipping will be determined by
the dollar volume of the overall purchase. This pricing policy is being
instituted across the entire Shop at Home assortment effective with the next
catalog (due in July).  Further details and pricing information can be found
at http://www.lego.com/bulk.

Initially, this service is available only in the United States and Canada
through LEGO Shop at Home (1-800-453-4652). This is not because we wish to
favor this market, but simply because we have an existing fulfillment
operation which we can employ immediately. We are currently finishing our
development of a new fulfillment center in Europe to handle direct
distribution; it will be ready to go by late summer or early fall. At that
time, we will begin offering not only bulks but the full LEGO Shop at Home
service (via the Internet) to at least nine European countries. We intend to
have full coverage in Europe in 2001.

And to our friends in Australia and New Zealand (especially, but also Japan
and the rest of the Asian Pacific Rim)  – we hear you! We’re working hard to
extend this service to you, but I am sure you realize the logistical hurdles
which must be leapt (high shipping costs, customs, etc); we are endeavoring to
find a solution that is as great a value to you as Shop at Home has been to
our US and Canadian customers. I do not yet have a timetable for you, but I
have made it a priority to bring this service to you; if we can make even a
limited offering to you by the end of the year we will. But we will not launch
LEGO Shop at Home (or any direct-to-you initiative) until we are certain that
we can do so in a manner which meets your (and our) high expectations.

We hope that you are as excited as we are with the arrival of the bulk
service. It is but the first of many new offerings which will be appearing in
the coming months. For the next release of bulk elements later this year, we
hope to incorporate some of your many requests, and will develop a more formal
system on LEGO.com (but thanks, Jason Catena) for recording your desires.

As always, our thanks to you. Play Well.

-- Brad

Brad Justus
Senior Vice President, LEGO Direct
legodirect@lego.com