 Local / Australia / 10237
Re: lugnet.sports
Newsgroups:
lugnet.loc.au
Date:
Mon, 25 Nov 2002 01:55:06 GMT

In lugnet.loc.au, Kerry Raymond writes:
Good, now you can explain it to me! Being from the Deep North of Australia, I
grew up where men were men (and sheep were nervous) and football meant rugby, >a thug's game played by gentlemen. The sport of Aerial Pingpong (as it was >called by us) was played exclusively in Melbourne, an affliction which we >assumed was linked to their poor personal hygiene

(why else would any footballer be unwilling to put his head between the >legs of other men in pursuit of a pigskin ball?).

Two Words. John Hopoate.

I have the impression
that the Brisbane team is far superior to all the Melbourne teams. Can anyone
who actually follows AFL confirm/deny that impression?

Given they won the premiership this year would be evidence for the
superiority. On the other hand the fact that they were playing a Melbourne
team may lower the bar somewhat. And yes, the other team was the Collingwood
Magpies.

Given my lack of interest in AFL, it is somewhat ironic that I am sitting on a
Collingwood Magpies chair. When I went out last weekend to purchase a new
computer chair ... the one I found ... was available in the fabric of the >team of your choice. It was suggested in the store that I would wish to
purchase the Brisbane Lions chair. But being completely lacking in AFL team
spirit and thinking that the colours of the Brisbane Lions chair looked like
mould was growing on it, I decided to base my AFL team loyalties on the
attractiveness of their chair fabric swatches and am now a sworn supporter of
the Collingwood Magpies (black background with red/yellow highlights).

The Brisbane Lions (imported from StKilda) wear Maroon, (is that a state
thing?) blue and gold. The Magpies wear Black and White (hence the mascot, a
black an white bird).
I think you may be slightly confused. The colours you describe are those of
the Adelaide Crows (previous premiers) and not those of the Magpies.

Of course, being able to pick out team colours does not mean I follow AFL
but it is useful to know which team has beaten the stuffing out of Sydney
(Swans) this week.

James (who mourns the inablilty of England to put up a decent test match team)