 Local / Australia / 10226
Re: lugnet.sports
Newsgroups:
lugnet.loc.au
Date:
Fri, 22 Nov 2002 22:29:55 GMT

++Lar (who regrets he never got to play foosball while in Oz, but does want
to point out that he listened closely (without laughing once) while an
Englishman and a Hollander explained Australian Rules Football to him at
length one night

Good, now you can explain it to me! Being from the Deep North of Australia, I
grew up where men were men (and sheep were nervous) and football meant rugby, a
thug's game played by gentlemen. The sport of Aerial Pingpong (as it was called
by us) was played exclusively in Melbourne, an affliction which we assumed was
linked to their poor personal hygiene (why else would any footballer be
unwilling to put his head between the legs of other men in pursuit of a pigskin
ball?).

Alas, the superiority of the Deep North's climate over that of Melbourne's
caused the annual migration of AFL players and their fans to the Deep North,
mostly driving very slowing towing large caravans and wearing hats. Inevitably
some of them didn't always manage the return migration each year and thus
thriving colonies of AFL fans were formed in the Deep North and eventually
leading to the establishment of a Brisbane team in the AFL competition. I don't
follow sport much myself (and certainly not that one, although doubtless Richie
has been squirrelling away evidence to the contrary), but I have the impression
that the Brisbane team is far superior to all the Melbourne teams. Can anyone
who actually follows AFL confirm/deny that impression?

Given my lack of interest in AFL, it is somewhat ironic that I am sitting on a
Collingwood Magpies chair. When I went out last weekend to purchase a new
computer chair to go with my new computer desk (my wedding anniversary
presents), the one I found most comfortable was (believe it or not) the
Official AFL Ergonomically Designed Office And Study Chair (so says the box)
which was available in the fabric of the team of your choice. Until last
weekend, I had believed that football merchandising consisted mostly of scarves
and stubby holders and had not realised that it had made forays into ergonomic
furniture. It was of course suggested in the store that I would wish to
purchase the Brisbane Lions chair. But being completely lacking in AFL team
spirit and thinking that the colours of the Brisbane Lions chair looked like
mould was growing on it, I decided to base my AFL team loyalties on the
attractiveness of their chair fabric swatches and am now a sworn supporter of
the Collingwood Magpies (black background with red/yellow highlights). So from
now on, I will have to go around yelling "C'arn the Pies!". Again, can anyone
who cares about AFL tell me if I've selected a reasonable team or have I just
picked the woodenspooners? Of course, it is arguable that when you purchase a
chair as a piece of football merchandising, it is the club that is supporting
you and not vice versa.

while riding on the Sydney Underground back from Kings Cross.... Ooooops!
Ignore that)

Just made a wrong turn, eh, and found yourself in the Cross? :-)

Actually I like Oxford St better when I want to walk on the wildside in Sydney.
Admittedly it's quite a different scene from the Cross, which I find way too
seedy for my taste.

Kerry