 Local / Australia / 10227
Re: lugnet.sports
Newsgroups:
lugnet.loc.au
Date:
Sat, 23 Nov 2002 01:16:38 GMT

At 10:29 PM 22/11/2002 +0000, you wrote:
++Lar (who regrets he never got to play foosball while in Oz, but does want
to point out that he listened closely (without laughing once) while an
Englishman and a Hollander explained Australian Rules Football to him at
length one night

Good, now you can explain it to me! Being from the Deep North of Australia, I
grew up where men were men (and sheep were nervous) and football meant
rugby, a
thug's game played by gentlemen. The sport of Aerial Pingpong (as it was
called
by us) was played exclusively in Melbourne, an affliction which we assumed was
linked to their poor personal hygiene (why else would any footballer be
unwilling to put his head between the legs of other men in pursuit of a
pigskin
ball?).

Alas, the superiority of the Deep North's climate over that of Melbourne's
I decided to base my AFL team loyalties on the attractiveness of their
chair fabric swatches and am now a sworn supporter of the Collingwood
Magpies (black background with red/yellow highlights). So from now on, I
will have to go around yelling "C'arn the Pies!". Again, can anyone
who cares about AFL tell me if I've selected a reasonable team or have I just
picked the woodenspooners?

Well, colours are as good a reason as any to pick a team.  Collingwood,
would be next to Essendon and Carlton as Victoria's most hated team.  As
for wooden spooners, that would be Carlton and/or St. Kilda (C'arn the
SAINTERS)

ah, well, at least you didn't pick Adelaide (apologies to all Adelaide
supporters, but I do not have a lot of love for your team)

Of course, it is arguable that when you purchase a
chair as a piece of football merchandising, it is the club that is supporting
you and not vice versa.

Boom Boom!
;-p

Trav (-|-)