 LEGO Company / LEGO Direct / 5479
Re: What a downer :-(
Newsgroups:
lugnet.lego.direct, lugnet.technic
Date:
Thu, 2 Jan 2003 21:46:52 GMT

In lugnet.lego.direct, Adrian Egli writes:
I got my 2003 SAH (US) cat the other day, OK new years eve, and was left
rather disappointed.  In the past, I've viewed the January catalog as a
benchmark for the year followed by the Summer one.  But God help us all,
this one just plain stinks for those of us into Technic!

In the past, you'd have at least two pages dedicated to the Technic theme;
this one shows NONE!  There is a picture of the 8430 motorcycle but it's on
the same page as the Naboo Starfighter and another of the 8461 Williams F1
(above the big LEGO minifigure, go figure?)  There are two pages covering
the Racers theme (8300s) but that's not quite the same catagory as Technic
and one page with MS.

The sad truth is that Technic is DEAD. I don’t want to believe it.  But it’s
true. I think the Lego Company is making a huge mistake by ignoring the
Technic market.  The whole reason I got into Lego was because Mindstorms and
Technic. Now my kids have all kinds of juniorized Lego stuff as well as
older Technic sets.

I guess some will say that the market has changed and kids today don’t have
the attention span that they used to.  Ok maybe it has changed a little, but
I can’t believe that it has changed so much that Technic no longer has a place.

Come on, all I'm asking for is 1 or 2 nice big Technic set per year.  Is it
so hard for them to do to keep this important segment of the market from
getting super angry with the Lego Company?

Every time a new catalog comes, my wife says, "Any cool new Technic sets
available?"  Lately all I say is Nope just the same old stuff.

The Technic is dead thread ended weeks ago had mention from Lego Employees
that assured us that Technic is not dead.  But, if you take a good look in
the last three catalogs they have even stopped using the word Technic.  Old
sets have been renamed with the word Technic dropped. I am really surprised
that there hasn’t been a bigger outcry from the Technic fans on Lugnet.

Please GOD let there be Technic soon.

Bob Gomez  (member 905)