 LEGO Company / LEGO Direct / 5481
Re: What a downer :-(
Newsgroups:
lugnet.lego.direct, lugnet.technic
Date:
Thu, 2 Jan 2003 22:24:06 GMT

Yes, I was sad to see the catalog too. Very disappointing.

However, there were some new 2003 "Technic-ish" sets spotted a while back
online (several small sets of construction equipment). The set numbers were
in the 8000's. It will be interesting to see if they are sold under the
actual Technic name or not.

I kind of remember the earlier threads about the death of Technic. I believe
that the name is dead, but we'll still see advanced building sets with
mechanical features. I think this is a way of dumbing-down Technic, but not
actually doing it. Consumers will be tricked into buying something
educational and intelligent when they didn't mean to (and ultimately end up
enjoying it ;-)

Perhaps kids see "Technic" and think "educational, learning, smart" (and
immediately equate this to boring and work). Since they go to the toy
section of a store to look for toys, they opt for something they think is
more fun (video games, flashy exciting toys, etc.).

Oh well, just my 2¢

TJ