 LEGO Company / LEGO Direct / 5476
  What a downer :-(

I got my 2003 SAH (US) cat the other day, OK new years eve, and was left rather disappointed. In the past, I've viewed the January catalog as a benchmark for the year followed by the Summer one. But God help us all, this one just plain stinks for (...) (21 years ago, 2-Jan-03, to lugnet.lego.direct, lugnet.technic)

  Re: What a downer :-(

(...) The sad truth is that Technic is DEAD. I don’t want to believe it. But it’s true. I think the Lego Company is making a huge mistake by ignoring the Technic market. The whole reason I got into Lego was because Mindstorms and Technic. Now my (...) (21 years ago, 2-Jan-03, to lugnet.lego.direct, lugnet.technic)

  Re: What a downer :-(

"Bob Gomez" <kukumba@aol.com> wrote in message news:H83wI4.56M@lugnet.com... (...) it's (...) and (...) It is sad. At work often whenever I bring in a model of one of our robots or bits of automation, some of my co workers will ask, "Where can I get (...) (21 years ago, 2-Jan-03, to lugnet.lego.direct, lugnet.technic)

  Re: What a downer :-(

Yes, I was sad to see the catalog too. Very disappointing. However, there were some new 2003 "Technic-ish" sets spotted a while back online (several small sets of construction equipment). The set numbers were in the 8000's. It will be interesting to (...) (21 years ago, 2-Jan-03, to lugnet.lego.direct, lugnet.technic)

  Re: What a downer :-(

Yes, I was sad to see the catalog too. Very disappointing. However, there were some new 2003 "Technic-ish" sets spotted a while back online (several small sets of construction equipment). The set numbers were in the 8000's. It will be interesting to (...) (21 years ago, 2-Jan-03, to lugnet.lego.direct, lugnet.technic)

  Re: What a downer :-(

There will be 3 great (big) technic sets in august. A firedepartment truck in red, a shovel in yellow and an RC street car in silver. paul wolters, netherlands (...) (21 years ago, 2-Jan-03, to lugnet.lego.direct, lugnet.technic)

  Re: What a downer :-(

(...) What?? How do you know that? - David (21 years ago, 3-Jan-03, to lugnet.lego.direct, lugnet.technic)

  Re: What a downer :-(

(...) Well, my answer is buy Meccano instead ... they have some nice sets for reasonable prices. Meccano Motion System 50 Re-use 599 Meccano building pieces to make up to 50 different models with this sensational kit. Includes a 6 Volt motor and (...) (21 years ago, 3-Jan-03, to lugnet.lego.direct, lugnet.technic)

  Re: What a downer :-(

(...) My guess is kids today are forced to "get adult" faster thus turning away from LEGO sooner. This makes the Technic line in it's traditional meaning harder to sell. Since the rant is up I'll blame the lack of beams, I mean of we AFOL's have (...) (21 years ago, 3-Jan-03, to lugnet.lego.direct, lugnet.technic)

  Re: What a downer :-(

One idea has crept into my mind. Maybe, it's just one of those years? I thought back to the mid 80's and looked at some of my US LEGO brochures to check out what was out then. As I remembered it, Technic was rather thin. One important note: this is (...) (21 years ago, 3-Jan-03, to lugnet.lego.direct, lugnet.technic)

  Re: What a downer :-(

(...) What, if it is true that's great news (and I said technic is alive did'nt I 8^)). But if it ain't, many people who have read your post may be very dissapointed. So please, we need some proof, some evidence. P.S what do you mean by shovel. Is (...) (21 years ago, 3-Jan-03, to lugnet.lego.direct, lugnet.technic)

  Re: What a downer :-(

(...) It woud make commercial sence as Megablocks make a large red fire engine. Fire engines I guess would alway be popular with parents and grandparents. In my opinion though a model team style model would have more appeal to the public. If it's (...) (21 years ago, 3-Jan-03, to lugnet.lego.direct, lugnet.technic)

  Re: What a downer :-(

While I can't reveal my source, I can confirm that Paul is correct. Though the Technic fire truck I saw wasn't red but black and lime green, kind of like an airport fire truck. There is a yellow backhoe that looks quite large. Also there is a (...) (21 years ago, 3-Jan-03, to lugnet.technic)

  Re: What a downer :-(

Oh, COME ON. We go through this EVERY year. The new catalog comes out, people whine about no Technic in it. Technic is almost never listed in the first catalog of the year. There WILL be some nice Technic sets this year, they're just going to show (...) (21 years ago, 3-Jan-03, to lugnet.lego.direct, lugnet.technic)

  Re: What a downer :-(

Surely they are not remaking the 8280 Fire Engine and the 8235 Front End loader? I'd rather see the 951 Bulldozer, the 8853 Excavator, and the 8862 Backhoe brought back to life. (Ya, I like large equipment - strictly for the parts mind you ;) ) -Rob (...) (21 years ago, 3-Jan-03, to lugnet.lego.direct, lugnet.technic)

  Re: What a downer :-( ...and we still will hang on....

I had some coffe and read this thread. I got to thinking about the range of Technic parts and brick. I figure what falls into a Technic part catagory is so essential to building stuff that moves or helps form features, that it could never go away. I (...) (21 years ago, 3-Jan-03, to lugnet.lego.direct, lugnet.technic)

  Re: What a downer :-( ...and we still will hang on....

(...) I really do beleive that what we say here really does make a difference. The discusion of technic being alive and why it should be has been going on hear for maybe over a year. We may have covered groud that lego cheifs may not have realised. (...) (21 years ago, 3-Jan-03, to lugnet.lego.direct, lugnet.technic)

  Re: What a downer :-(

(...) These 3 sound like the 3 models seen in some catalog pictures a while back. (21 years ago, 3-Jan-03, to lugnet.technic)

  Re: What a downer :-(

(...) No offense to you personally Robert, but I sometimes wish that those people who "can't reveal their sources" would simply not post the information at all. I realize that sometimes they are just trying to be helpful, or to scoop a story before (...) (21 years ago, 4-Jan-03, to lugnet.technic)

  Re: What a downer :-(

"Allan Bedford" <ExpertBuilder-DELET...otome.com> skrev i meddelandet news:H866vt.tF@lugnet.com... (...) Well, here in Sweden the city fire trucks are red, but the airport ones are mainly yellow (and a red streak). I'm sure I've seen lime green ones (...) (21 years ago, 4-Jan-03, to lugnet.technic)

  Re: What a downer :-(

(...) Sorry, I should have clarified. I was really speaking in hyperbole for effect. More accurately, I feel that for traditional reasons standard city fire trucks (pumpers, ladders, tillers etc.) should be red. However, as has been pointed out, (...) (21 years ago, 5-Jan-03, to lugnet.technic)

  Re: Lime green firefighter vehicles

(...) Well, that same site also features Indianapolis Int. Airport "Green Hornet", which I think looks pretty good (URL) link might not worm - look under new desktop photos) Here is another firetruck with the same paint hue (URL) I do like lime (...) (21 years ago, 6-Jan-03, to lugnet.technic)

  Re: What a downer :-(

Lime Green fire tricks were big in the 70's. Sometime back in the late 60's early 70's someone did a study and came to the conclusion that people see the Lime Green colors better in traffic. As a consequence, ALOT of city's painted their trucks (...) (21 years ago, 14-Jan-03, to lugnet.technic)

  Re: What a downer :-(

Sorry, (...) (21 years ago, 14-Jan-03, to lugnet.technic)