 LEGO Company / LEGO Direct / 416
Re: Bulk Sales in the 21st Century
Newsgroups:
lugnet.lego.direct, lugnet.general
Date:
Thu, 6 Jul 2000 12:57:49 GMT

Geoffrey Hyde wrote:
I also wonder if any of the LEGO parts lend themselves to extrusion
molding - especially those small connector pegs with holes through them.
They look like a perfect candidate for extrusion molding at a first look.
I'm also fairly certain that if nothing else, the axles they use are almost
certainly extrusion molded.  I noticed that some early axles do have a
cutoff bump at one end of the axle where it gets separated from the sprue it
would be on, but I haven't seen any such bumps in more recent axles, which
would seem to suggest that they're either using extrusion molding for the
axles, or are developing extremely accurate part separation machinery.

I think they do a little bit of post molding finishing. I'm pretty sure
I read about this in one of the books. Depending on the cost to do this
(which almost certainly changes over time), they may finish some parts
and not others.

--
Frank Filz

Home: mailto:ffilz@mindspring.com