 LEGO Company / LEGO Direct / 433
Re: Bulk Prices!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.lego.direct
Date:
Sun, 9 Jul 2000 08:04:08 GMT

I really wonder who else (other than the adult Lego community) regularly
uses Shop At Home to make purchases.  You have to be a die hard Lego fan to
go to the trouble of mail ordering specific pieces.  There is lots of
selection in the stores to keep the kids happy.  As a percentage of off the
shelf sales, I think that AFOLs are a small piece, but when it comes to Shop
At Home, I believe we make up a sensible chunk.  I could be way off base
here, but do any of you out there remember using Shop At Home as a child (if
it existed when you were a child that is).

Silas

Todd Lehman wrote in message ...
In lugnet.lego.direct, Silas Pierrot writes:
[...]  They do not need to sell these things bulk, in
a sense they are doing us a favour, so for them to stop selling the • bricks
bulk would be no loss to them, and a big loss to us.

I think TLC is absolutely not doing this as a favour to us, although we can
certainly be happy perceiving it that way and TLC would be equally happy • for
us to perceive it that way.  I think TLC is doing this because they realize
they do need to do this in order to compete in the global Internet economy • in
the 21st Century[1].  This is way too important to TLC to simply be a • _favor_
to the adult LEGO community.

Getting themselves geared up for bulk purchasing and short just-in-time
production runs opens doors to many derivative possibilities down the • road --
custom MOC's, custom parts packs, custom-image-to-LEGO-mosaic applications,
and any number of other fan's-wet-dream-for-the-past-five-years • applications.
If and when these things happen, don't expect TLC to acknowledge that these
were old ideas kicking around for years already publicly in RTL long before
LEGO Direct came along.

[...]
I think an opposite logic should be used.  Everybody buy lots of Lego • from
Lego Direct.

Nit:  LEGO Direct doesn't sell bulk elements.  LEGO Direct communicates • with
consumers.  LEGO Shop At Home sells the bulk elements.

--Todd

[1] which of course starts in 6 months.  :)