 LEGO Company / LEGO Direct / 444
Re: Bulk Sales in the 21st Century
Newsgroups:
lugnet.lego.direct, lugnet.general
Date:
Mon, 10 Jul 2000 07:40:55 GMT

In lugnet.lego.direct, Tom McDonald writes:

Color still seems to be easier to change IMO rather than a mold, as I can
imagine that process would occur faster, as the machine would not have to
pause as long (if at all) in the changeover.

I disagree.

Consider the example of mold tooling that was built to the same form factor for
the same machine. To change from one to the other requires merely a
substitution of the tooling and a change in settings for amount of plastic to
inject, preheat, mold dwell time, cooling time, ejection rate, etc. All of
which, no doubt, are just parameters to the NC control program driving the
molding machine.

To change colors requires a lot more work as you have plastic that has to be
cleaned out of a lot of places.

IMHO.

++Lar