 LEGO Company / LEGO Direct / 415
Re: Bulk Sales in the 21st Century
Newsgroups:
lugnet.lego.direct, lugnet.general
Date:
Thu, 6 Jul 2000 12:34:50 GMT

In lugnet.lego.direct, Geoffrey Hyde writes:
Ian Sinclair <sinclair@cadvision.com> wrote:

TLC wants to avoid changing molds as long as possible.  Every time
that's done the injection machine must be purged, cleaned and the
molds changed.  That is a lot of down time.

Maybe that is the case, but I've seen one report that the facilities they
use are fed from a set of huge silos containing raw ABS materials in
different colors for all the common elements they produce.

This suggests to me that perhaps their injection molding machines would be
capable of automatically handling multiple colors one after the other.

I would guess that you are correct.  I, and other people (IIRC), have gotten
parts with swirls of other colors in them, which leads me to believe that they
don't hand clean them between runs.  Mine is a pretty nifty brick, actually,
and I'd love to have more.  It is a gray 2x8 with dark gray swirls in it.  :)

Jeff