 LEGO Company / LEGO Direct / 3907
Re: bulks and trees and some new stuff on its way
Newsgroups:
lugnet.lego.direct
Date:
Tue, 18 Dec 2001 14:26:45 GMT

In lugnet.lego.direct, Brad Justus writes:

<snip>

Brad, as somebody who has a degree in manufacturing engineering (with a
minor in business), a big interest in process engineering and 2-3 years
experience in injection molding...Belive me, I understand everything you are
going through.

For those fans reading posts here, remember, LEGO is a company, and like all
companies, they have to worry about the bottom line, while trying to satisfy
all customers, both old and new.  Lugnet members are defintely customers,
but they aren't ALL of the customers that Lego serves.  The key is to find
the balance of being able to satisfy everybody as well as possible.  In some
cases (i.e. new ideas), there is no trend or business case to look at, so
the only way to proceed is trial and error...anybody want to try and figure
out how many cypress trees could be sold? With the explosion of the
internet, it could be a lot, but you can't get a specific number...then try
to figure out costs with that ambiguous number, then try to schedule
production runs for that same ambiguous number..and do this all before you
officially announce it.  You run the risk of losing money because you may
have no sales...furthermore, the time spent in manufacturing could have gone
to more popular sets....all I can say is that manufacturing combined with
meeting demands of customers without any prior data is a most daunting task
in itself...

As far as cypress trees in bags go, remember that in some cases, cardboard
packaging can be more expensive than the product itself!

To all the Lugnet folks, I think Brad and everybody in his team are doing an
incredible job in serving customers in new and different ways.

Brad, keep up the good work, and please make sure to relay my thanks and
appreciation to your team(s)!

Sincerely
Scott Lyttle