 LEGO Company / LEGO Direct / 3635
Re: Goodbye Lego and thanks for all the bricks
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general, lugnet.lego.direct
Date:
Tue, 13 Nov 2001 03:57:02 GMT

In lugnet.general, Tom Inosanto writes:

Profits? They are trying to charge MORE for LESS take for example the blue
tub, $20 for 1200 bricks (the 3033) well, its gone - what replaced it?
Another blue tub with just over 600 parts (parts, not bricks) for the SAME
$20?!?!

Relax... they'll come up with a replacement for the 3033 blue tub.  Offering
sets consisting of only bricks is not a one-time thing, you know.  Recall 950
piece buckets 1819 and 1776.  Granted, the list price was $20 and a tub beats
the heck out of a bucket for storage, but those buckets were widely available
at a substantial discount.  And 2494 the 400 piece bucket was available for
under 5 bucks. (Or am I the only AFOL old enough to remember these sets?  Heck,
I won't even mention the blue ribbon buckets from the early 90's-- 1706 had 250
pieces, but lots of them were bricks.)

And why would I want to pay $10 for some set with appx. 60 parts?  I think
they need to get back to basics, forget Jack Stone (most everyone has but
Lego), Harry Potter (its scary this could be their new cash cow), Bob the
builder (going after kids that are to young), Bellville and Scala (unless
they have more bricks in them and less dolls - they are both very available
at Legoland), and Dinosaurs (what are we supposed to do with them?), and
toss the new racers (what are those things anyways, get back to RACE, with
the pitstops, etc.) And please toss Bionicle, this thing is very non-lego!

Bring back Paradisa, Town (just plain town - even town jr would do), Pirates
(yes, I have seen the re-release of old sets, but NEW sets would be good).
And more GAS STATIONS, CARS, PLANES and BOATS!

No one is a greater fan of Paradisa than I, but I'm glad TLC has brought out HP
sets-- they're an interesting addition to existing pieces we all have.  And if
Bionicle is a financial success for them, I'm glad too, because I want TLC to
stay in business for a long time.

So patience, grasshopper, bricks will come around again.  And meanwhile there's
no need for you and others to get so fired up about these pieces of plastic--
after all, aren't we all just playing here?

Maggie C.