 General / 34029
Re: Goodbye Lego and thanks for all the bricks
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general, lugnet.lego.direct
Date:
Tue, 13 Nov 2001 22:40:27 GMT

In lugnet.general, Kevin Johnston writes:
"System" to me is more about an interconnected play world, with original,
open themes, than it is about the particular form of the figures.  Playmobil
has its own "system," for example.  Lego could conceivably develop a new one
based on a different figure than the mini-figure, which might (again, just
speaking conceivably here) sell better to today's kids than the mini-figure.

Indeed.  They did it before.  Ever see the figures available during the mid
1970's?  They had Town sets, but no mini-fig as we think of it.  And during
the 80's, it wasn't called System with a logo.  The boxes just had the word
LEGOLAND stamped on the corner.

In fact, thinking back to my childhood, I do believe there are countless
toy companies who have since changed their figure style, without any known
distasters on their profits:  Fisher Price used to have three types of
figures (for different age groups), some included wooden parts.  All changed
now.  The old GI Joes (uh, Mattel?) certainly changed -more than once over
the years.  I think Playmobile might be the only figs (in my experience)
that have remained so much the same.

...No matter.  Now is as good a time as any to start buying up all the
mini-figs you can find...  <big smirk>

That was my point, moreso than the licensed nature of that set-- I want to
encourage TLC to make more large, sophisticated sets.  Model Team, Castle,
whatever-- just more, please!

Hmmm.  Imagine:  A Model Team Castle....  Hmmm.....  <smile>   ....Although
I suppose a scale model of Edinburgh would cost some $600 USD or
something...  :o

-H.