 General / 34042
Re: Goodbye Lego and thanks for all the bricks
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Wed, 14 Nov 2001 19:36:16 GMT

In lugnet.general, Allan Bedford writes:
But of course my argument is that if the sets were better designed and
contained even more bricks then sales (and ultimately future adult fans)
would be on the increase instead of the decrease.

"Ultimately future adult fans" ...That is what I've been thinking.  If
indeed the quality (whether of set design, themes offeres, over-licensing,
juniorization, etc., or of element quality) should slip too much, then the
young generation will not latch on to the product, or certainly not to the
Brand name.  I recall when I was young seeing the notes from Susan Williams
talking about how important the Brand name was, and how it was meant to
represent a product of the highest quality on all levels.

Is this not still the case?  I ask that of both the AFOL community and the
official TLC community.

As I implied in a previous post, when I was young, I had numerous toys to
choose from.  I collected numerous things, but in the end I had to choose
one due to funding.  The one that won out was the one that was of the
highest quality all around.  The nature of such has inspired me to strive
for similar quality in my own day-to-day life and in my personal work as an
adult.

So LEGO is still collected by me now, with money going towards TLC.  All
other toys are memories that are talked about only on rare occassion.  E.g.
"Hey, whatever happened to Adventure People?  Those were cool, but never as
cool as LEGO."  ...If the current trends continue, I fear the next
generation may be speaking about LEGO the way I do about Adventure People.

If any of that is true, then in 5 years, there will be no new members
joining LUGNET.  In 10 years, we will be only a tiny tiny niche community of
people trading ancient and obscure sets only we have heard about.  In 20
years, LUGNET?  What's LUGNET?

Say it's not so.

<*ick* I feel sick...>

-Hendo