 General / 33986
Re: Goodbye Lego and thanks for all the bricks
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Sun, 11 Nov 2001 18:47:10 GMT
Highlighted:
(details)

In lugnet.general, Lawrence Wilkes writes:

"Allan Bedford" <apotomeREMOVE-THIS@altavista.net> wrote in message news:GMn6Cr.5y0@lugnet.com...
In lugnet.general, Lawrence Wilkes writes:
2002 catalogue. Oh dear, dear, dear. Where did it all go so wrong?

Sorry, I am disappointed so much I cant even be bothered to tell you why.

Lawrence... if I may make a suggestion....

Take a moment (or two) to tell the company exactly what it is that's
bothering you about the catalog.  Make it positive, but don't be afraid to
be stern.

Simply telling them that you're unhappy does not give them the opportunity
to fix things.  They need input and direction.

They have had all the input and direction they need via Lugnet.
My thoughts aren't too dissimilar to many others here.

My turn to disagree.  :)

I think they haven't had nearly enough constructive criticism here on
LUGNET.  Sure they've had some.  Just do a search on my name and you'll find
20 or 30 posts in the last few months on this exact topic.

But I wonder how many people just aren't taking the time to speak up.  I
wonder how many might be too shy to say what's really on their mind?
Perhaps afraid of offending someone on LUGNET or even the company itself.

However, as I've said before... the relationship between the LEGO company
and it's customers is not a friendship.  It is a business relationship that
needs to be understood and developed.  LEGO isn't 3 or 4 guys running a
little family business out of their basement.  They are a global company
employing thousands of workers.  They can't really take the time to be
friends with everyone, so they need to clearly and thoroughly understand
their markets... all of them.

I can't see Lego having reacted positively to the points that I and others have raised here many times.

Some say that LEGO Direct or the sculptures series are positive reactions.
But as you've pointed out things like bulk bricks still lag way way behind.
And as I've tried desparately to point out, the product going into retail
stores is becoming something of a joke.  The set design seen on most
Megablocks packages far exceeds anything coming out of LEGO these days.  But
I don't *want* to buy Megablocks... I want to buy LEGO sets of the same
calibre.  However, until the current quality matches the once golden
reputation I will be very careful how I spend my dollars.

But that's Lego's choice if they choose to ignore it.

Drives me crazy, but you're right.  What's going on?

Anyway, as I said I am so disappointed in Lego these days I cant be bothered to tell them anymore as it seems to fall on
deaf ears.

I personally have committed myself to continue to give them as much feedback
as I am capable of.  I try to make it honest, fair but as critical as I can
muster.  I used to be afraid of offending them, but now I'm just afraid of
them driving themselves into bankruptcy before I am able to raise some kids
that might enjoy this incredible product.

I am the customer. It is not my job to tell them what to build - well certainly not over and over ad infinitum as we
seem to here.

Hate to disagree, but I feel it is at least partly our roll to let them know
what's working and what's not.  For example... the sculptures series is a
terrific idea.  But most of the sets are too big, too expensive, and only
availble through Shop at Home.  Want me to buy one?  Make a set that retails
for under $50.00 and put it in my local Zeller's or Toys 'R Us.

Similarly the Classics reissues are a long overdue idea that I myself
rallied for many many moons ago on LUGNET.  But again... why for the love of
Pete, can't I buy these in stores???  I live in Canada.  I don't do Shop at
Home because quite frankly I can't stomach the exchange, duty and shipping
costs.  Put these same sets on my store shelves and they will be purchased.

If I dont like what they produce then I will simply take my custom and my money elsewhere.
Their loss.
But I guess I just don't fit into their target market profile much any more, so they probably don't care.

Well, my counterpoint to that is that if they don't start worrying more
about their current target market (kids?) then they won't have any market at
all someday.  They have raised up fans like me that are now in our mid-30's.
I have more money to spend on LEGO now in any given year than I did through
my entire childhood.  Don't they want my money?  Don't they want your money?

I am confident that they can change things. They would have to work pretty
hard to continue the slide they're on now.  :)

Sorry, but I cannot agree.
The 2002 catalog seems to just reinforce the fact they are sliding from construction toy to action toy maker.
I dont want action toys. But if I did then there are far, far, far better ones out there than Lego are making.

I agree totally.  They have lost their core path.  Well, it's not that
they've lost it, it's just that they seem to refuse to follow it.

And I dont think Lego want to change this trend. It seems to be working for them as a company, so good luck to them.
Profit seems the only motivation nowadays, and I dont totally disagree with that sentiment either. They are not a
charity. Nor am I

Profit?  Of all the years that LEGO has been in business it's only in the
last 2 or 3 years that they have had financial losses.  They need our input
and the input of every customer now more than ever.

It's just that me and Lego seem to be on diverging paths. The only part that interests me anymore is bulk bricks and
some aspects of Lego Direct (like trains), yet that seems way down their list of priorities.

You are not alone.  They need to see this.  How many adults, who don't visit
LUGNET, realize that LEGO has slowly shyly begun to recognize its adult
fans?  They need to have an adult version of their website that screams out
in a loud strong voice that they are ready to sell products that interest
lifelong adult fans.  But remember, LEGO Direct doesn't work for folks like
me, so we need to find some way to sell these sets/bricks to people who
still actually shop in stores.

I can carry on building MOCs with the bricks I have of course, but without something new once in a while to excite me, I
might end up loosing interest in that too.

This would be a shame if that happened.  My feeling is that the exec's at
LEGO need to study the history of the Meccano company. What's happening now
has already happened to a similar company.  That company didn't listen to
its adult fans as they grew older.  That company exists only on life support
today.

I'm off to build a fire station today.  I had wanted to buy some new sets
yesterday at Zeller's to add to my collection and incorporate into this new
creation... but you know what the store shelves look like these days.  I
couldn't even find a simple assorted parts bucket.

Makes me want to cry.

Regards,
Allan B.