 General / 34008
Re: Bulk vs. BrickBay (was: Goodbye Lego and thanks for all the bricks)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Mon, 12 Nov 2001 21:34:15 GMT

Allan Bedford wrote:
I think there is a strong case for the theory that they could actually be
making even more money than they are now. Any time people are spending money
with resellers instead of the original manufacturer, then the original
manufacturer obviously isn't providing a goods or service that the customer
wants.  And by not doing that... they are in the end losing money.

This logic doesn't necessarily hold true. How many products are sold by
company owned stores?

Resellers abound in many markets, for a variety of reasons. One of the
biggest reasons is that they serve a niche part of some larger market. I
seriously doubt the average LEGO customer wants to buy exactly this
piece or that piece, and almost certainly not for the sort of markup
required to make the endeavor worth it (were TLC to open a Brickbay
store, I doubt their prices would be that much lower than the current
prices, but it will probably never happen because the return on
investment wouldn't be good enough).

Frank