 LEGO Company / LEGO Direct / 3633
Re: Goodbye Lego and thanks for all the bricks
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general, lugnet.lego.direct
Date:
Mon, 12 Nov 2001 20:09:38 GMT

In lugnet.general, Richard Marchetti writes:
In lugnet.general, Kevin Johnston writes:
I'm not trying to start another "mini-figures forever" flame.  Maybe the
mini-figure's era has passed.

Bite your tongue!  That's "System" right there.

"System" to me is more about an interconnected play world, with original,
open themes, than it is about the particular form of the figures.  Playmobil
has its own "system," for example.  Lego could conceivably develop a new one
based on a different figure than the mini-figure, which might (again, just
speaking conceivably here) sell better to today's kids than the mini-figure.

P.S. Lego, I LOVE many of your recent products, like the Sopwith Camel,
sculptures, and I hope you pursuer more higher-end licensed items like the
Blockade Runner.

I disagree strongly here.  While I spend more on this plastic junk most
months than the price demanded by a single Blockade Runner set.  I have to
think twice about spending so much cash on one item in one shot like that.
I'll probably pick stuff up I want from that set on the aftermarket, and I
am probably not alone -- SW stuff leaves me cold, so what I am saying is
that I may be unwilling to blow $200 USD on a parts pack.  This would mean
that TLC is counting on some kind of "trickle-up" theory of economics.
Anyway, why can't they build a castle with this much thought and equivalent
brick count?

That was my point, moreso than the licensed nature of that set-- I want to
encourage TLC to make more large, sophisticated sets.  Model Team, Castle,
whatever-- just more, please!

Kevin