 LEGO Company / 1878
Re: Weapons in models (was Re: Lego seems to be copying Mega Blocks
Newsgroups:
lugnet.lego, lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Sun, 23 May 2004 22:01:10 GMT

In lugnet.lego, Neb Okla wrote:

"Larry Pieniazek" <larry.(mylastname)@ascentialsoftwareDOTcom> wrote in
message news:Hy5Gws.G7A@lugnet.com...
In lugnet.general, Neb Okla wrote:

I think it's more an issue that they don't want to produce toys that look like
they can be used to emulate the modern warfare that they see on the news and
such. Nobody fights with bi-planes anymore, but fighter jets are pretty much
fighter jets - regardless of era. Same thing goes with tanks or
battleships.

Note that set 4403 (Air Blazers) includes instructions for what would best
be termed a "fighter jet".  Very similar to an F-14... except it's red
instead of gray.

True.

See also the Patriot Jet, circa 1996: http://guide.lugnet.com/set/6331

That's a modern "fighter jet". It just doesn't have any weapons. Does the 4403
model have visible weapons?

if not, it doesn't undercut the argument (although it slices pretty close if you
ask me) that they're not producing toys that (as designed) emulate modern
warfare weaponry.

Many modern fighter/bomber aircraft do not have visible weapons (YF-22, JSF,
F-117, B2, B1, B-52, and even the ill-fated Commanche).

So perhaps Lego should produce models of these based on your reasoning?

It's not *my* reasoning. It's my speculation about *their* reasoning. If you
want to infer what I think, think about "slices pretty close"...  and what I
meant by that.:-)

While a Humvee might look scary to someone whose town has them rumbling
through loaded with soldiers, they are no more dangerous as a vehicle or
weapon than some other truck.

I could (facetiously) argue the point, in that since they mass more than a
Toyota compact, they tend to transfer more energy to the other vehicle in an
accident, and therefore they ARE more dangerous as a vehicle. I could, but I
won't.

At any rate, I think that Lego does a decent job of not glorifying war -
even though it sometimes produces sets that represent vehicles commonly used
by militaries.

So what are you arguing about, then?

XFUT off-topic.debate