 General / 47847
re: Lego seems to be copying Mega Blocks
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Sun, 23 May 2004 05:22:55 GMT

Actually, I'd say it the other way around.  LEGO used to look like what Mega
Blocks is focused around now, but MB uses more action elements in their sets.
Basic and model building sets look a lot like what people who grew up with LEGO
are used to.

In another vien of the same topic, if you watch TV you may have seen the Honda
Element commercial.  You know, the one in which the car is built from the ground
up with plastic building blocks, starting with a single 2x4 red brick.  Looks
like vintage LEGO right?  It's not.  It's quick, in the first second or so, that
you can read the fine print.  Mega Blocks did the Honda Commercial that everyone
thinks is LEGO.

Wake up, monolithic Danes.  Your image and core market is slipping away from
you, and people won't even notice it.  Just like the Canadian penny, the MB is
supplanting the LEGO image, and trading on the brand identity.  And they do a
darn fine job too.

I sure had a good time tonight piecing together a MB Dragons Man-O-War.  But
it's staffed with LEGO minifigure adventurers.  Even I am crossed at this point.

-Aaron-

Able to Bask in Tons of Plastic Bricks in a Single Room