 LEGO Company / 1688
Re: Request for Feedback - focused thread
Newsgroups:
lugnet.lego, lugnet.color
Date:
Mon, 10 May 2004 05:21:18 GMT

In lugnet.lego, Jake McKee wrote:
   In the original post I made a couple of days ago, I mentioned that LEGO has agreed to find some ways to help make this transition smoother. There has been some discussion about items that would be important to lock into the old colors, including some specific parts selections. There has been some discussion that it’s time to move on and focus on building up stocks of the new colors.

I’d love to hear from you what your choice would be, and what parts you consider “priority” for either solution.

Make a clean break. Get the old colors out of the inventory and let’s move on. Nobody asked you to continue making CA bricks once you switched to ABS; it’s no different here. Producing parts packs in the old colors will just prolong the agony for people who don’t like the new colors. If LEGO is truly not going to switch back, then just put the past behind you and stop molding anything in the old colors.

To help us get started with the new colors I think LEGO should offer an inexpensive tub (quantity and price point similar to the old 3033 tubs) with an assortment of the basic parts in the new colors. It should include just the core parts: basic bricks from 1x1 to 2x12, plates from 1x1 to 6x16, a few arches, slopes, etc., in distribution similar to the numbers of those parts that have been produced in the old colors. No need for detail parts and greeblies because we can get those in SW mini sets, etc. It’s important that this have a large quantity at a good price for this to be of much use. You can retire the SKU after a year or so, but all LEGO fans, young and old alike, will be happier with the change if they can get the new colors in bulk.

Also, any parts not currently available in new colors that previously existed in the old ones (e.g. BURPs) should be sold in the new color parts packs. I would do this separate from the above large pack.

Remember too that for those who aren’t purists, the big grey megabloks sets offer an inexpensive way to bulk up on the new grey color. You need to compete with their per-brick price point, at least initially.

--Bill.