 LEGO Company / 1671
Re: Request for Feedback - focused thread
Newsgroups:
lugnet.lego, lugnet.general
Date:
Sun, 9 May 2004 11:20:40 GMT

In lugnet.lego, Jake McKee wrote:
   In the original post I made a couple of days ago, I mentioned that LEGO has agreed to find some ways to help make this transition smoother. There has been some discussion about items that would be important to lock into the old colors, including some specific parts selections. There has been some discussion that it’s time to move on and focus on building up stocks of the new colors.

I’d love to hear from you what your choice would be, and what parts you consider “priority” for either solution.

Although I have been one of those most jarred by the change, I wanted to say (outside that other thread) that I do appreciate your efforts at mediating between the community and the Company. Heck, that’s what your job title is all about, but still, I do very much appreciate it.

That said, back to the subject at hand: grey/brown transition. I think both solutions, in moderation, are important to making a change work for everyone.

• Limited runs of the basic bricks in the original colors--sort of an expanded version (perhaps 50k or 100k packs instead of 10k?) of what you’ve been able to finagle thus far, with a few extra elements (slope mixes, corners in 33, 45 (convex and concave), and 75 degrees especially!) thrown in on a more limited basis into other special accessory packs. That would also defuse one of my other recent anxieties, the inability ever to get certain basic parts in certain “classic” colors, which actually means in practice “corner slopes in quantity to round out the bajillion regular slope bricks I already have in those old colors.”

Oh, and as long as I’m here, I should also suggest one new piece that is only available in the new colors (and tan) now that would be very nice to have in my old-color repertoire if at all possible: the 4x4 macaroni quarter. Goodness, that’s a nice piece, and maybe as part of a “classic color round brick” pack (perhaps with light grey, dark grey, brown 2x2 and 4x4 macaroni, 4x4 corner bricks, and 2x2 round bricks) it could be offered to the old-grey horses among us. If LEGO did this, they could even get a premium for such special things, which would help defray the cost of their production and make a lot of us who are busily buttressing our old-color collections very very happy.

• I don’t hate the new colors per se, so I expect I will eventually, if only incidentally, start building up collections of those bluish parts (sort of like my orange and green collections started up, to be honest) and that I will start finding uses for them once the stocks get large enough as happened initially with dark grey. But given that all new bulk packs in grey that are not specifically “classic,” thus meaning most new packs, will be in the new colors, I’m not sure what specific suggestion could be made beyond “do what you had planned to do.” Perhaps runs of the new colors into parts packs like the ones for the “classic” colors would be the answer, as well as (clearly marked!) runs of the fences and so on in the new light grey. (This is something that really needs to be addressed in the changeover: which parts packs are in the old greys and which have changed over to the new greys, just so a person expecting the one does not get the other.)

• The suggestion that has oft been made for a “new colors tub” I will repeat here: light grey, dark grey, brown, and maybe some tan (and boy do I wish you’d lock in tan as a changeless color) in quantity (say 1200), again in the new colors instead of the old, would sell quite well and would help attenuate a lot of the resistance to the changeover based on low availability as it is. We (as AFOLs) have been rooting for an “earth-tones” bucket for a very, very long time, and it seems that implementing one now would serve a double purpose that way. I can certainly guarantee you that I would not only buy quite a few (perhaps two dozen to start), but I would almost certainly go back to grabbing new sets for the light grey and dark grey bits again because there would be enough “basic” parts to support all the new special pieces. And then I’d get more tubs so I could use all those special pieces, and more sets to use all the tub bricks, and...you see where this is going, right? (The answer is “onto four display tables at BrickFest 2005,” of course.)

Anyways, just two little cents on where to go from here. As Calum said in his extremely funny rtltoronto post, I’m gonna need more planos.

thanks

LFB