 General / 6089
Re: Some window questions
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Thu, 5 Aug 1999 14:39:56 GMT

John Neal wrote:

Gary Istok wrote:

Troy Cefaratti wrote:

Bram you should know better than to break your toys.  But really, piece
modification is close to blasphemy.

I really don't think this would qualify as blasphemy.  It is even borderline
on modification, as the pieces DO break off rather easily.  I've had this
happen myself numerous times.

I'd rather break off the rest of the shutter notches and "rescue" a still
useable piece then discard it because one of the notches broke off.  Not all
windows need to have shutters  :)

If this is blasphemy, then burn me at the stake......

Gary, I would like a "ruling" from you:-)  How do you feel about Yanks cutting off
the 2 buffers (non prototypical of US trains) of their coupler units?

-John "life on the slippery slope" Neal

John,

My general feeling is that "no Lego is sacrosanct" (no taboo's).  Sometimes I take
generous liberties with the Lego myself.

You know those gaps that the 2x2 "macaroni" quarter circle bricks (as well as those
4x4 quarter bricks) leave when you stack them on top of each other?  Well I take white
VCR tape labels, cut them up into very small pieces, and tape those holes over, ever
so carefully, so that the finished building looks (relatively) smooth without those
unsightly holes.  (Now if I can find a perfect match for the red, black, blue, grey
and yellow quarter circles...)

As already stated, I (using needle nosed pliers) remove those shutter notches on a few
of those pieces.  But I always put the "missing notch" sides on the inside of the
building because they look unsightly on the outside.  I never remove these notches
unless there is a reason to (like an inside corner window).

In some respects I'm so anal that on older regular bricks that have the plastic mold
"umbilical cord" on the side of the blocks (today they are mostly located on top of
one of the brick studs), I put the blemish side away from the building facade. (Now
that's anal!)

Another modification that I utilize is with the classic Lego doors (1x2x3).  The door
handle on these are rather fragile, and I'm sure a lot of us have these with the
missing door handles (or partly missing).  Well I make sure that these "problem" doors
have the handle totally removed, and I use them the same way as a 1x6x3 large classic
picture window (hey! It looks like 1/3 of one of those windows).  Sometimes I use 3
classic doors together with one of these (missing handle) doors in the middle.  I like
the look of it.  (Note: I never, ever purposely break the handle off of any classic
door!!)

Some of these modifications are because I feel that "I am doing TLG a service in that
I'm sure that they would have made this modification themselve, had they ever gotten
around to doing it"! (heh-heh)

So John, blasphemy be damned!  We're talking plastic here, not the Old Testament!

So cut those buffers off their coupler units!

Gary Istok

P.S.  I'm saving my most sinful Lego blasphemy for another day (once I get it posted
to a website for people to ponder).

"If you never take yourself too seriously, you won't look like a fool."