 General / 6034
Re: Some window questions
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Wed, 4 Aug 1999 14:47:27 GMT

Jeff Stembel wrote:

In lugnet.general, Chris Hill writes:
Hi,
I'm still waking up from the dark ages and have a couple of window
questions:

Do 1x4x2 windows  come in other sets  besides  london bus #760  and
police heliport #560?
Do they come in other colors besides red and white?

1x4x2 windows have come in many sets over the years.  For more information,
search Deja-news for "History of Lego Windows" by Gary Istok.  It was posted to
rec.toys.lego about a year ago, and it is the most comprehensive (Lego) window
thread ever written.  :)

I was surprised by the lack of windows in the newer sets.

That's because, like many major companies (*cough*-Square-*cough*), their
marketing department seems to be full of idiots.

Jeff

Wow, thanks for the praise Jeff ...... (swelled head now going back to its' former
size) .... one thing that the Deja News item doesn't cover is the sets that some of
these windows come in.  As to the 1x4x2, it came in a lot of different sets.  The
110, 111, 112, 113, 114 basic sets from the 1970's had these windows (as did the
European counterparts (10, 20, 30 ,40 ,50).  So did a lot of 1960's sets (205, 285,
375, 702, 703, 705, 708, 711, 725).  This window even came in the 1980's windows &
doors service packs (number escapes me at the moment).  But I've only ever seen
this in red or white, although I've seen it in black in an early 1960's Swedish
advertisement (on Tore Eriksson's website).  But I've never been able to confirm
the existence of a black specimen.

The London Bus (760) has more of these windows (10 in red) than any other set.

The DejaNews websites for the window articles are located at these two addresses
(the 2nd one has the specifics you are interested in):

http://www.deja.com/getdoc.xp?AN=392187525&CONTEXT=907128958.1321140661&hitnum=11

http://www.deja.com/getdoc.xp?AN=393374372&CONTEXT=907129288.1392574708&hitnum=11

Enjoy!
Gary Istok