 General / 53354
Re: Best Lego Year of all time?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Sun, 11 Feb 2007 00:22:41 GMT

In lugnet.general, Stéphane Simard wrote:
While I was browsing the catalogs, I had this idea... I'd like to know what
the consensus is as to which year saw Lego as truly the TOP of its game.

After browsing the Brickshelf catalogs, I'd have to say 1980. Second batch
of models for Technic (includes 8860), Minifigs were all over the place now
(no more "stiffies"), specialized pieces were next to non-existent, all Lego
cars finally had seats for the minifigs, Classic Space was at its best year,
and arguably best Train set ever, 7740, came out that year.

Other strong contender years for me:
1978 and 1979. First ever Technic/Expert Builder sets, Yellow Castle, birth
of Classic Space...

and 1986 (8 new technic sets, Legoland Town and Castle sets reached a
quality beyond measure, Blacktron I, birth of Model Team...)

I love looking through the archives...!

Best year(s) for LEGO? I'd say the early-mid 1970's! No minifigs (and I like the
minifig!), nice, big gears--"Expert Builder" wasn't out yet--no themes, either
(unless you count the "LegoLand" series as a theme of sorts). You had to
actually use your imagination when you built things. Not too many specialized
parts to mess with in the "basic" sets. Nice, simple...creative.

Do I want to return to that era? Not really.

Like I said above--I like minifigs, and Technic sets are a lot of fun. I'd love
to have some of the Mindstorms NXT stuff. Space is a favorite theme of mine
(M:Tron was fun!), although I have a lot of City stuff as well. And, even though
I have very little of it, Bionicle is pretty cool too. Ninja was interesting for
me, and Exo-Force...why has it taken so long to do the giant robot thing for
LEGO? Speaking of giant things...bring back Model Team! I have like half the
sets for that line.

So...I also have to say the best year(s) is any year that had a lot of stuff you
like, or was a particularly good year time-wise for you.

Play Well!

Matthew Crandall